Kelly's Directory - South Wales 1895
The data below has been extracted by Gareth Hicks (December 2003) with the kind permission of the publishers from the CD of the same title as the main heading. (Archive CD Books)
Place names are as written unless clearly misleading.
Is a parish in the county of Cardigan, on the road from Cardigan, to Lampeter, and is 4 1/2 miles north-east-by-east from Newcastle Emlyn station, on the branch from Pencader of the Great Western railway, 15 south-west from Lampeter and 20 north-east from Carmarthen, in Troedyraur hundred, union, county court district and petty sessional division of Newcastle Emlyn, and in the rural deanery of Sub Aeron, archdeaconry of Cardigan and diocese of St. David's.
The church of St. Cynllo, entirely rebuilt in 1870, is an edifice of stone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, south porch and a tower with spire, containing one bell : the reredos is of diapered stonework adorned in the centre with a cross of white marble, set in a vesica of alabaster, and on either side are medallions with carved figures of adoring angels; this ornamental work being the joint gift of Mr. Middleton and Rose Noel St. V. Tyler : there is a memorial window to Sir Thomas Davies Lloyd bart. of Bronwydd (d. 22 July, 1877), and Henrietta Mary (Reid) his wife (d. 5 Nov. 1871), erected by their son, the present Sir Marteine O.M. Lloyd bart. : the church affords 150 sittings. The registers of baptisms and burials date from the year 1756; marriages 1754. The living is a rectory, tithe rent-charge £180, average £137, net income £140, with 142 acres of glebe, in the gift of the freeholders of the parish, and held since 1885 by the Rev. Hugh Jones B.A. of St. David's College, Lampeter.
Bronwydd, the seat of Sir Marteine Owen Mowbray Lloyd bart. D.L., J.P. is a fine mansion, situated on an eminence dominating a deep valley, watered by a tributary of the river Teifi. Mount Gernos is the seat of Mrs. Tyler. Sir M. O. M. Lloyd bart. D.L., J.P., who is lord of the manor and Mrs. Tyler are the principal landowners.
The soil is clay; subsoil, gravel. The chief crops are oats and barley. The area comprises 3,683 acres, of which 2 are water; rateable value, £1,844; the population in 1891 was 602.
Maeslyn, is a hamlet in this parish, here is a large woollen mill, the property of Messrs. Tyler & Co.
Parish. Clerk, John Jones
Post, M. O. O., S. B. & Annuity & Insurance Office, Maeslyn.---John Jones, postmaster. Letters through Llandyssil arrive at 8.30 a.m.; dispatched at 3.30 p.m
The parish is included in Troedyrauer United District School Board
Board School, for 160 children; average attendance, 110
- Jones, Rev. Hugh B.A. (rector); Rectry
- Lloyd, Sir Marteine Owen Mowbray bart. D.L., J.P. ; Bronwydd
- Tyler, Mrs. ; Mount Gernos
- Davies David, blacksmith; Maeslyn
- Jones John, shopkeeper; Maeslyn
- Tyler & Co., woollen manfrs.; Maeslyn
- Davies, David; Tower hill
- Davies, Enoch, David & Elizabeth; Dolancwerchier
- Davies, Rachel (Mrs.); Altyconydian
- Davies, Rice; Rhydoch
- Evans, Thomas; Bryn
- Evans, Thomas; Penberlismaeon
- Jones, David; Blaenllan
- Jones, Enoch; Glynrodyn
- Jones, James; Mantgarglan
- Jones, John Lloyd; Wernddu
- Jones, Martha (Mrs.); Blaenbach Cerydd
- Lewis, David; Llangunllo Farn
- Rees, John, Pengallt
- Rees, Thomas; Ffynonwan
- Thomas, Mary (Mrs.); Glynhynod Fach
- Thomas, Thomas; Pantbach
[Gareth Hicks: 7 December 2003]