"LLANINA (LLAN-INA), a parish in the hundred of MOYTHEN, county of CARDIGAN, SOUTH WALES, 15 miles (N. W. by W.) from Lampeter, containing 474 inhabitants. This parish is situated on the shore of Cardigan bay, by which it is bounded on the south and south-east, and is intersected by a small river, which, formed by the union of two streams to the south of the parish, pursues a northerly course and falls into the bay of Cardigan, near the small harbour of New Quay. The lands are mostly enclosed and in a tolerable state of cultivation ; the surrounding scenery is pleasingly varied, and in some parts enriched with thriving timber ; and the views, extending over the open bay, are not destitute of interest. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Llanarth, in the archdeaconry of Cardigan, and diocese of St. David's. The church, a neat edifice lately erected, is situated near the shore of the bay, at the extremity of a well-wooded dingle : it is dedicated to St. Ina, King of the West Saxons, who, devoting his life to religious pursuits, resigned the government of his kingdom to his kinsman Ethelred, and went on a pilgrimage to Rome; having passed the remainder of his life in retirement, he was canonized after his death. This parish contributes to defray a portion of the expenses of that of' Llanllwchairn. The average annual expenditure for the maintenance of the poor is £ 82."
[From Samuel Lewis's A Topographical Dictionary of Wales 1833]