"LLANARTH (LLAN-ARTH),a parish in the hundred of MOYTHEN ,county of CARDIGAN,SOUTH WALES, 13 miles(N. W. by W.) from Lampeter, consisting of two divisions, North and South, and containing 2449 inhabitants. This parish, which is of considerable extent, is pleasantly situated on the turnpike road leading from Cardigan to Aberystwith, and is intersected by the river Llethy, which falls into Cardigan bay at Llanina. The Earl of Richmond, afterwards Henry VII., on the second night after his landing at Milford Haven encamped his forces at Wern Newydd, in this neighbourhood, where he was hospitably entertained by Einon ab Davydd Llwyd, on his route through this county to Bosworth Field." [From Samuel Lewis's A Topographical Dictionary of Wales 1833]


Business & Commerce Records

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Business Records, Cardiganshire 1558-1995 (accumulated 1975-2001) "Include; .............. James Jones and Son, blacksmiths, Llanarth; David Aeron Rees, blacksmith, Llanarth; William Herbert Lewis, Solicitor, Llanarth..."


Monumental inscriptions for St David's Church, Llanarth and Penycae Independent Chapel, Llanarth are available on microfiche from Dyfed FHS

Llanarth and Llanina parishes [ 9 churches and chapels], Mls ; searches within their Research Service from Cardiganshire Family History Society

Photographs of the headstones at St David's Church, Llanarth - Contributed by Russ Davies to the Find a Grave site


Church History

Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants

  • Llanarth Parish Church David Evans, Vicar

Parish entry for Llanarth with Llanina from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by Archive CD Books).

  • St David & St Ina (Llanina)
  • Incumbent and Curates; J D Lewis
  • Rural Deanery of Glyn Aeron
  • Acreage 15,103 & 1,832; Population 1,230

Parish entry for Dihewyd with Mydroilyn from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by Archive CD Books).

  • St Vitalis & Holy Trinity (Mydroilyn)
  • Incumbent and Curates; D T Jones
  • Rural Deanery of Glyn Aeron
  • Acreage 3,867 ; Population 989

Holy Trinity church, Mydroilyn - photograph on Dyfed FHS

St David's church - photograph on Dyfed FHS

Church, Llannarth   - on the People's Collection Wales site

See Chapels database

Held at NLW ;

  • Deeds and documents , 1545-1848, relating to the parishes of Henfynyw and Llannarth, Cardiganshire, and papers relating to Neuaddlwyd and other Congregational churches, 1791-1896.

Church Records

See Notes on Church/Chapel Records page

Parish Register;
Baptisms 1688-1855. Marriages 1688-1969 [Banns 1824-57], Mydroilyn 1928-64. Burials 1688-1864 NLW/Cer.RO
Bishops Transcripts;
1674, 1679, 1681, 1683-5, 1688-9, 1799-1800, 1802-6, 1808-80, 1882, 1885-8, 1890-2 NLW

See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg

I.G.I; Baptisms 1799-1875

Nonconformist Chapels; See Chapels database


Description & Travel

The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales., by Jones, I.G. & Williams, D. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. These statistics for this parish or chapelry are extracted from this book which in turn got them from the 1851 census itself;

  • Area 15044 acres; Population 1068 males, 1269 females, total 2377

Llanarth - on Wikipedia

Lewis, William John. New Quay and Llanarth Aberystwyth, 1987. Here is an index by Mary Jane Stephenson.

You can see pictures of Llannarth which are provided by:



The transcription of the section for Llannarth from The National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.

Description of the parish of Llanarth from A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (1833) by Samuel Lewis.



Cardiganshire Families Project

A historical snippet involving this parish - provided by Kenneth Homewood (May 2008)
"A Sarah Bill, born c1822 in Llanarth married a William Deakin of Northampton, England and this couple migrated to Australia in 1849.
They had a son Alfred Deakin who became the second Prime Minister of Australia and served three terms of office in 1903, 1905 and 1909."

Passmore, Susan Campbell. A century of 'embezzlers' : the occurrence of the unusual surname Reculat in the parishes of Llanllwchaearn, Llanina and Llannarth (Cardiganshire) between 1670 and 1780 . Dyfed Family History Journal 3/3 (1989), p. 64-6

Evans, Denis S. A long walk to work. Cardiganshire FHS journal, Vol 3/3 Oct 2002. Emigration from Cross Inn to Wallasey, Merseyside.

Evan Evans, Postmaster and his family, Cross Inn , Llanllwchaearn. Dyfed Family History Society journal April 1994, Vol 4, number 9, pages 370-372
Further researches on the Post Office family, Cross Inn, Llannarth, Llandysiliogogo and Llanllwchaearn. Dyfed Family History Society journal April 1995, Vol 5, number 3, pages 114-116



Bevan, RE. Extracts from two old diaries concerning Llanarth. Trans. Cards. Antiq. Soc. IV, 1926 Welsh Journals Online

Bevan, RE. Notes on Llanarth and neighbourhood. . Trans. Cards. Antiq. Soc. IV, 1926 Welsh Journals Online

Davies, D. J. Hanes, hynafiaethau ac achyddiaeth Llanarth, Henfynyw, Llanllwchaiarn a Llandyssilio-gogo. Caerfyrddin, W. Spurrell (1930) [BM YA.1995.b.886].Many family trees, lists taken from parish records etc.,details of well known men, much text in Welsh but some English.

Meyrick, Sir Samuel Rush.(1783-1848) The History and Antiquities of the county of Cardigan. Collected from the few remaining documents which have escaped the ravages of time, as well as from actual observation. Longman: London ,1810. The history and antiquities of the County of Cardigan ... to which are now added a parliamentary history, list of High Sheriffs, some notes on the present county families, &c., &c. repr. Brecon: 1907. This 1907 print has now been reprinted. The section relating to this parish is on pages 234/36; a large parish divided into 6 hamlets, the church was a vicarage and the last 3 incumbents were 1752 Rev Brooks, Rev Howels, Rev Richards. Mentioned is Noyadd Llanarth seat of Colonel Brooks.

Passmore, Susan Campbell. A Churchwardens' Presentment 1709. Dyfed Family History Journal 5/5 (Dec 1995), p. 207/8.

Glyn Davies, Hetty. A Village called Llanarth. A prize winning Eisteddfod essay published by the author.

Men and children on Llannarth bridge, c. 1890  - on the People's Collection Wales site


Land & Property

Held at  NLW ;

  • Deeds and documents , 1545-1848, relating to the parishes of Henfynyw and Llannarth, Cardiganshire, and papers relating to Neuaddlwyd and other Congregational churches, 1791-1896.
  • Records deposited by R.K.Lucas, mainly C17-C20, from the office of Messrs John Harvey & Sons, later Messrs James Thomas & Sons, land estate agents, Haverfordwest, chiefly relating to the estates of the bishop of St David's[including some official diocesan records] ; .................of the family of Brooks of Noyadd, Llannarth, Cardiganshire................

Steve Thomas is currently involved in gathering information about old houses/homesteads in the Mydroilyn Ward (Llanarth Parish)and has already listed over 100 which no longer exist, along with their location and in most cases the people who lived in them. The details have been taken from census returns, local essays and chapel records. Steve is not sure if the project will ever be "finished", but would be pleased to help individuals researching the Ward.



Passmore, Susan. Manorial Records of Caerwedros, Cardiganshire. After Edward 1's conquest of Wales the commot of Caerwedros became a Crown manor comprising the present day parishes of Llangrannog, Llandysiliogogo, Llannarth, Llanina and Llanllwchaearn.Dyfed Family History Journal 5/6 (Apr 1996), p. 227-230


Parish map (Kain/Oliver)

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SN445557 (Lat/Lon: 52.177456, -4.276171), Llannarth which are provided by:


Names, Geographical

Places, villages, farms etc within Llanarth as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Gareth Hicks)

  • Llanarth (68); Berth-lwyd; Blaen-clettwr; Blaen-cwm; Blaen-rhos; Blaen-wern; Bryn; Bryn-cesig; Caled-rhydiau; Capel-Vicar; Castell-geifr; Castell Moyddyn; Cefn-maes; Clettwr; Croes-gwyn; Crug Cou; Cwm-castell; Cwm-coedog; Cwm-hwnt; Cwm-mawr; Cwm-Saeson; Esgair-onw-fawr; Esgair-wen; Feinog-uchaf; Ffos-deile; Ffos-helyg; Ffynnon-Meredydd; Fron-goch; Fron-wen; Garth-ddu-lwyd; Gelli-isaf; Geneva; Gilfach (2); Goetre; Gofynach; Llanarth (village); Llwyn-celyn (2); Llwyn-derw; Llwyn-wernau; Llwyn-y-fedw; Llwyn-yr-heol-fawr; Lon; Meini-gwynion; Moeddyn-fach; Moeddyn-fawr; Moel-Ifor; Moel-Rhyd-Einon; Mot-y-Gido; Mount Fm.; Mydroilin (village); Nant-gwynfynydd; Nant-meddal; Nant-yr-efail-fawr; Neuadd; Oakford (village); Pant-eryrod; Pant-glas; Pant-gwyn; Pant-lluest; Pant-rasol; Pant-sod; Pant-yr-hendy; Pen-cae; Penlan-fach; Penlan-noeth; Pen-y-graig; Perth-lwyd; Perth-yr-Eglwys; Pontbren-ddu; Pont-faen; Pont-Rhyd; Rhandir; Rhiw-bren; Rhos Carn-wilgarn; Rhos-goch; Rhos-goch-fach; Rhyd-afallen; Rhyd-Einon; Rhyd-fechan; Rhyd-lydan; Rhyd-y-beillen; Rhyd-yr-haiarn; Synod Inn; Tryal; Tyddyn-du; Whilgarn

Names, Personal

Held at the NLW ;

  • Papers of the Rev. J.M.Lloyd Thomas, Llannarth, Cardiganshire [1868-1955], minister of the Old Meeting Church, Birmingham, and active member of the Society of Free Catholics.


Passmore, S.C. An 18th Century School at Llanarth, Journal of the Dyfed FHS, vol. 5, no. 8, (1996) pp.347-350.

Passmore, S.C. The Revd. John Pugh, Motygido, Llannarth, [1690-1763] and his school. (NLW's site) Ceredigion [new paper back format] : Cardiganshire Antiquarian Society, Vol XII, No 4, 1996

Here is an extract from The Reports of the Commissioners appointed to enquire into the state of Education in Wales. 1847