The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"LLANRHYSTYD, a parish in the hundred of Lower Ilar, county Cardigan, 8 miles S.W. of Aberystwith, its post town, and 12 N.W. of Tregaron. It is situated at the mouth of the Gwyre, near the coast of Cardigan Bay, and includes the townships of Haminiog and Mefenydd. A monastery was founded here in early times. The Danes effected a landing in 988. Dinerth Castle, which stood here in the 12th century, frequently changed hands. It was finally taken and destroyed by Maelgwnap-Rhys about 1199. The cliffs on the coast are very precipitous, and abound in caves and fissures. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St. David's, value £140, in the patronage of the bishop. The church, dedicated to St. Rhystyd, is a new structure. Ystrad is a seat of the Lloyds, and Mabus of J. L. Phillips, Esq. Fairs are held on the Thursdays before Easter and Christmas."
"HAMINIOG, a township in the parish of Llanrhystyd, lower division of the hundred of Ilar, county Cardigan, 6 miles N.E. of Aberayron. It is situated near the sea-coast, and contains Henbelin."
"HENBELIN, a village in the parish of Llanrhystyd, and township of Haminiog, county Cardigan, 6 miles N.E. of Aberayron, near the coast."
"MEFENYDD, a township in the parish of Llanrhystyd, county Cardigan, 8 miles N.E. of Aberaeron."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2018