The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"LLANWENOG, a parish in the hundred of Moyddyn, county Cardigan, 5 miles S.W. of Lampeter, its post town, and 12 N.E. of Newcastle-in-Emlyn. It is situated in the vicinity of the river Teifi, and includes the township of Cwrt. A battle was fought here in 981 between rival Welsh chieftains. The village is considerable. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St. David's, value £138, in the patronage of the bishop. The church, dedicated to St. Gwnog, is an old edifice with a tower. There are traces of an ancient camp and funeral mounds. High Mead and Llanvaughan are the principal residences. A fair is held on the 14th January."
"COURT, a village in the parish of Llanwenog, in the county of Cardigan, South Wales, 6 miles S.W. of Lampeter."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2018