1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
In 1868, the parish of Llechryd contained the following places:
"LLECHRYD, a parochial chapelry in the hundred of Troedyrawr, county Cardigan, 3 miles S.E. of Cardigan, its post town, and 6 N.W. of Newcastle-in-Emlyn. It is situated on the northern bank of the river Teifi, which is here crossed by a bridge. It was the scene of the Rebecca riot in 1844. A battle was fought here by contending factions of Welsh in the 11th century. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of St. David's, value £109. The church of the Holy Cross is a small ancient structure. There is a Presbyterian chapel, built in the time of the Commonwealth."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2018