Kelly's Directory - South Wales 1895
The data below has been extracted by Gareth Hicks (February 2004) with the kind permission of the publishers from the CD of the same title as the main heading. (Archive CD Books)
Place names are as written unless clearly misleading.
Mount is a parish in the county of Cardigan, on the shores of Cardigan bay, 4 miles from Cardigan station, on the Whitland and Cardigan branch of the Great Western railway, 4 from Aberporth, and 278 from London, in Troedyraur hundred, Cardigan union and county court district, Troedyraur (Lower) petty sessional division, and in the rural deanery of Sub Aeron, archdeaconry of Cardigan and diocese of St. David's. This place has a fine sandy beach, affording an extensive and lovely prospect of Cardigan bay, the Carmarthenshire coast and Bardsey Island, and in the distance the peaks of the Snowdon range.
The church of the Holy Cross, which occupies a lonely site at the foot of a hill called "Y Foel," is a plain but ancient edifice of native stone, consisting of chancel and nave and a belfry, containing 1 bell: the east window exhibits curious carving, and the entrance doorway is of Norman date, the windows on the side towards the sea have been blocked up: the roof is of massive timber framing, and there is an ancient granite font and a " three decker" pulpit and desk: there are 80 sittings, and the services are wholly in Welsh. The registers date from the year 1778. The living is a vicarage, tithe rent-charge £4, with glebe (£67), net income £80, in the gift of R H Williams esq., and held since 1875 by the Rev. Daniel Harries Davies B.A. of St. David's College, Lampeter, who is also vicar of Verwick, and resides at Cardigan.
Near Ty-Newydd farm, and about 200 yards south-east of the church is a longitudinal barrow or tumulus known as "Beddau'g Flemin," "the Flemings' graves," and said to indicate the burial place of part of a body of Flemish invaders, who landed at Traeth-y-Mount during the winter of a new year, and after a severe contest, were completely repulsed: occasionally the drifting sands still disclose the bones of the slain who were interred on the shore: the chief scene of the conflict was a spot now occupied by a farm called " Ffynnon Grog" (the well of the Cross).
The soil is light gravel with some clay; subsoil rock.
The chief crops are barley, oats, a little wheat, and grass and green crops. The area, comprises 1,172 acres; rateable value, £627; the population in 1891 was 93
Parish Clerk, David Evans.
Letters through Cardigan via Verwick, which is the nearest post office. The nearest money, order, & telegraph office is at Cardigan.
This parish is included in the Verwick United School Board District, formed 19 April, 1875
The children attend the school at Verwick
- Davies, Daniel, grocer; Blaenffin
- Davies, Daniel; Blaenffin
- Davies, Lewis; Fygwyn
- Davies, Thomas; Llwynysgaw
- Evans, David; Tynewydd
- Evans, Hannah(Mrs.); Bigmy
- Evans, James; Penywann
- Griffith, Elizabeth (Mrs.); Penygraig
- James, David; Blaenfflyman
- Jenkins, David,; Tyrbwlchmawr
- Jones, James, Tyrbwlchbach
- Jones, William; Parkbach
- Owen, Thomas; Nantbach
- Owens, Thomas, Nantmawr
- Richards, Ann (Mrs.); Graig
- William, Catherine (Mrs.); Llannymnt
[Gareth Hicks: 25 February 2004]