Kelly's Directory - South Wales 1895
The data below has been extracted by Gareth Hicks (February 2004) with the kind permission of the publishers from the CD of the same title as the main heading. (Archive CD Books)
Place names are as written unless clearly misleading.
Penbryn is a parish in the county of Cardigan, on the shore of Cardigan Bay, 8 miles east-by-north-east from Cardigan, the terminal station of the Whitland section of the Great Western railway, 8 north from Newcastle Emlyn, 12 north-west from Llandyssil, and 13 south-west from Aberayron, in Troed-yr-aur hundred, Newcastle Emlyn union and county court district, Penrhywpal petty sessional division, and in the rural deanery of Sub Aeron, archdeaconry, of Cardigan, and diocese of St. David's.
The church of St. Michael, placed on the summit of an eminence overlooking Cardigan Bay, is an ancient building of stone, in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, porch, and a belfry containing 1 bell; the church was repaired in 1878 and affords 200 sittings. The registers date from the year 1726. The living is a vicarage, tithe rent-charge £345, average £255, net income £188, with 5 acres of glebe, in the gift of the Bishop of St. David's, and held since 1888 by the Rev. Thomas Jones B.A. of St. David's College, Lampeter. St. John's mission chapel at Sarnau was built in 1889, at a cost of £615.
There are also Baptist and Congregational chapels.
At Castell Nodolig and Pwnton are remains of ancient camps.
Mrs. Brigstocke of Blaenpant is lady of the manor; the land is mostly held by small freeholders.
The soil is slate, subsoil gravel. The chief crops are oats and barley and a portion of the land is under pasturage. The area comprises 8,535 acres, rateable value £4,006; the population in 1891 was 1,302.
Sarnau is a hamlet in this parish.
Post & M. O. O. & S, B. & Annuity & Insurance Office, Sarnau --- David Nicholas, postmaster. (Railway Sub-Office. Letters should have R.S.O. Cardiganshire added.) Letters arrive at 10.50 a.m.; dispatched at 1.35 p.m. The nearest telegraph office is at Llangranog
Jones, Rev. Thos. B.A.; Vicarage
- Davies, Ann (Mrs.), miller; Capel Gwnda mill
- Davies, Jas. miller; Llamborth mill
- Rees, David, miller; Bithdin
- Beynon, Peter; Pantygenan
- Davies, Simon; Aberarthenfawr
- Davies, Thomas; Norfa Issaf
- Evans, Mary (Mrs.); Dyffrgnsarth
- Evans, William; Cnwcyrhyglyn
- Jenkins, Morgan; Norfa-uchaf
- Jones, David; Penlansaith
- Jones, Griffith; Llaintreddafydd
- Jones, James; Dyffrynbern
- Jones, Stephen; Cefnllacthdre
- Morris, Thomas; Ffynondeinol
- Owens, Daniel; Pencacan
- Owens, John; Plas
- Parry, Ellis; Norfa Canol
- Reynolds, David; Blaenhoffnant
- Thomas, John; Aberbedw
- Williams, John; Glandulas
[Gareth Hicks: 26 February 2004]