Kelly's Directory - South Wales 1895
The data below has been extracted by Gareth Hicks (March 2004) with the kind permission of the publishers from the CD of the same title as the main heading. (Archive CD Books)
Place names are as written unless clearly misleading.
Silian is a parish in the county of Cardigan, 2 miles north-by-west from Lampeter station, and 2 south-by-west from Derry Ormond station, both on the Manchester and Milford railway, and 12 east-by-south from Aberayon, in the hundred and petty sessional division of Moyddin, county court district and union of Lampeter, and is in the rural deanery of Lampeter, archdeaconry of Cardigan and diocese of St. David's.
The church of St. Salien, erected in 1819 on the site of an older church, is a plain building of stone, consisting of chancel, nave and a tower with short spire, containing one bell: the church was restored in 1873, and affords 140 sittings. The registers of baptisms and marriages date from the year 1788; burials from 1873. The living is a chapelry, annexed to the rectory of Llanwnen, tithe rent-charge £244, average £180, joint net income £193, with 40 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of the Bishop of St. Davids, and held since 1878 by the Rev. David Morris.
There is a Baptist chapel.
The sum o£ £10 yearly accruing from the rent of a farm, is distributed amongst such poor persons in this parish as are not in receipt of parish relief, and do not keep a cow.
Close to the south-east angle of the church stands an ancient stone, with a now undecipherable inscription.
Glandenys is the residence of William Jones esq. D.L., J.P, who is the principal landowner.
The soil is light and slatey. Chief crop wheat; one half of the land is under pasture. The area is 2,179 acres; rateable value, £894; the population in 1891 was 268.
Letters received from Lampeter R.S.O. Cardiganshire at 11 a.m. & collected at same time by postman. The nearest money order & telegraphic office is at Lampeter
National School (mixed), for 74 children; average attendance, 57; John Stewart, master
- Jones, William D.L., J.P.; Glandenys
- Morris, Rev. David; Vicarage
- Davies, John; Pertholan
- Davies, Rachael (Mrs.); Tannyfforest
- Davies, Thomas; Drumddafawr
- Dudley, John; Penprisk
- Hughes, Thomas & Henry; Pantcoy
- Hughes, Daniel; Gorwydd
- Jones, David, Rhydygof
- Jones, Elizabeth (Mrs.); Dremddafach
- Jones, John; Cwmmawr
- Jones, John; Blaenwaun
- Jones, Thomas (& assistant overseer); Gwarffynon
- Jones, Watkin; Gelligwenyn
- Jones, Watkin; Tronfelen
- Lewis, John; Dderigach
- Marsden, John George; Dyffryn
- Thomas, Thomas; Penshetting
[Gareth Hicks: 3 March 2004]