Ysbyty Ystwyth


"YSPYTTY-YSTWITH, a parish in the upper division of the hundred of ILAR, county of CARDIGAN, SOUTH WALES, 13 miles (S. E. by E.) from Aberystwith, containing 472 inhabitants. The name is derived from an ancient hospitium formerly existing here, which is supposed to have belonged to the Knights Hospitallers, and its adjunct from its situation on the banks of the river Ystwith. The parish, which is also bounded on the east by the small rivers Marchnad and Meuric, comprises about four thousand acres, one-half of which is waste land..."
[From Samuel Lewis's A Topographical Dictionary of Wales 1833]


Church History

Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants

  • Yspytty Ystwyth Parish Church J W Morris, Perpetual Curate, Ystradmeuric
  • see Chapels database below

Parish entry for Yspytty Ystwyth with Ystrad Meurig from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by Archive CD Books).

  • St John Baptist & St John Baptist (Ystrad Meurig)
  • Incumbent and Curates; D J Jones (J Lloyd)
  • Rural Deanery of Ultra Aeron
  • Acreage 12,929 & 956 ; Population 556

St John the Baptist - photograph on Dyfed FHS

Various items  - on the People's Collection Wales site

  • Ysbyty Ystwyth Band of Hope
  • Maesglas Sunday School, Ysbyty Ystwyth
  • Maesglas Chapel, Ysbyty Ystwyth in the snow
  • Men chatting on Ysbyty Ystwyth square after Sunday service at Maesglas Chapel

Church Records

See Notes on Church/Chapel Records page

Parish Register;
Baptisms 1781-1915 . Marriages 1782-1956. Burials 1781-1886, 1897-1916, 1928-92 NLW/Cer.RO
Copy ts PR M 1782-1837 with index NLW/Cer.RO
Bishops Transcripts;
1682, 1811, 1813-53, 1858-79, 1884-93 NLW

See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg

I.G.I; Baptisms 1811-75

Index to Burials from Parish Registers 1813-1837 available for purchase from Cardiganshire Family History Society Volume 2: Ilar (Upper) Hundred . Parishes covered: Eglwys Newydd, Gwnnws, Llanafan, Llanfihangel-y-Creuddyn, Llanilar, Lledrod, Rhostïe, Ysbyty Ystwyth, Ystrad Meurig

Nonconformist Chapels;

Maes-glas CM chapel

  • 1. Maesglas CM chapel SN73237144 Sabbath school at Lletty Howell in 1811 Chapel built in 1818/9, rebuilt 1845 and replaced as a chapel 1874, but continued as Sunday School. The Sunday School reverted to a chapel after 2001, but this has also now closed (2003). Members; 150 in 1851 Records; 1. births & bapts 1821-37 PRO & in IGI 2. pew rent book 1845-96 NLW 3. see Penuel, Pontrhydfendigaid
    2. Maesglas CM chapel SN73187130 Chapel built ca. 1874 Demolished by 2006
    This Calvinistic Methodist Chapel replaces two earlier chapels of the same name, one now a pair of semi-detached houses, the other used as a Sunday School.
    (The Chapels Recording Project in Wales & Rawlins - See Notes on Church/Chapel Records page )
  • See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg
  • Ysytty (sic) Ystwyth Chapel, Ysbytty [Ystwyth deleted] Estrad Meurig CM The first chapel erected in 1818, the second in 1845 David Morgan, Minister (1851 Religious census)
  • Maes-glas CM chapel Bapts 1821-37 PRO ( Nonconformist Registers of Wales - See Notes on Church/Chapel Records page )
  • Photograph on Dyfed FHS

Capel Saeson Wesleyan Methodist (Lisburne Mines), Pontrhydygroes

  • Capel Saeson Wesleyan Methodist (Lisburne Mines), Pontrhydygroes SN73277293 Built in 1852, not still open 2002 (The Chapels Recording Project in Wales)
  • Capel Saeson, New Rd, Pontrhydygroes [Lisburne Mines chapel] - See Capeli (2005 list of chapels under threat)

Bethel (Salem?) Wesleyan Methodist chapel, Pontrhydygroes

  • Bethel Wesleyan Methodist chapel, Pontrhydygroes (called Salem in Rawlins) Chapel built 1810, rebuilt 1841 & renewed 1874-5 A segmental slate plaque is inscribed "Capel y Trefnyddion Wesleyaidd/ Bethel/1874". Part of Aberystwyth circuit until 1860, then Ystumtuen circuit Records; see Aberystwyth circuit under Soar, Aberystwyth and Ystumtuem circuit under Salem, Llanbadarn Fawr Not still open 2001 (undergoing conversion residential.).
    Bethel (1) was built in 1810 and Bethel (2) in 1841. SN73967244 & SN73917241
    (The Chapels Recording Project in Wales & Rawlins - See Notes on Church/Chapel Records page )

Maen-Arthur CM Sunday school, Pontrhydygroes

Capel Heleth Calvinistic Methodist Chapel, Helaeth

  • Was demolished in 1997. The remaining walls stand just 1.5m high. (coflein)

Hendre Calvinistic Methodist Chapel Sunday School, Craig-Y-Bwlch

  • Was built in 1904 in the Vernacular style. By 1998 the school had ben converted for residential accommodation. (coflein)

Waun-Lloi Methodist Chapel Sunday School

  • Was built in 1868 in the Vernacular style of the gable entry type. By 1998 the school had been converted for residential use.(coflein)

    Description & Travel

    The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales., by Jones, I.G. & Williams, D. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. These statistics for this parish or chapelry are extracted from this book which in turn got them from the 1851 census itself;

    • Area 5544 acres; Population 343 males, 375 females, total 718
    You can see pictures of Ysbyty Ystwyth which are provided by:



    The transcription of the section for Ysbytty Ystwyth from The National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.

    Description of the parish of Ysbyty Ystwyth from A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (1833) by Samuel Lewis.



    Cardiganshire Families

    Jones, Daryl. JONES of Ysbyty Ystwyth. Dyfed FHS journal,Vol 7/96 . An advertisement in a newspaper, regarding the author's grandfather, led to an ancestral tree researched back to the eighteenth century


    Historical Geography

    You can see the administrative areas in which Ysbyty Ystwyth has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.



    Meyrick, Sir Samuel Rush.(1783-1848) The History and Antiquities of the county of Cardigan. Collected from the few remaining documents which have escaped the ravages of time, as well as from actual observation. Longman: London ,1810. The history and antiquities of the County of Cardigan ... to which are now added a parliamentary history, list of High Sheriffs, some notes on the present county families, &c., &c. repr. Brecon: 1907. This 1907 print has now been reprinted. The brief section relating to this parish is on page 273; Y Spytty Ystwyth - or the hospitium of the Ystwyth.


    Land & Property

    Held at the NLW ;

    • Hendrefelen. Deeds and documents relating mainly to property of the families of Herbert and Hughes of Hendrefelen, parish of Ysbyty Ystwyth, Cardiganshire, 1546-1885.


    Parish map (Kain/Oliver)

    You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SN791721 (Lat/Lon: 52.333463, -3.775735), Ysbyty Ystwyth which are provided by:


    Names, Geographical

    Places, villages, farms etc within Ysbyty Ystwyth parish as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Dewi Evans)

    • Ysbytty Ystwyth (36); Afon Elan; Aber Gengu hill; Aber Gwngu; Afon Marchnant; Bano Hir; Bano mawr; Blaen y Cwm; Blaen Marchnant; Bryn; Bryn Dafydd; Bryn mawr; Bryn yr Hyddod; Bwlch gwalter; Bwlch y hendre; Byrlyman Elan; Caer y hyrdded; Careg Bwlch mynachlog; Careg y Derlwyn; Cefn Coch; Craig cwm anwen; Craig y bwlch; Cwm Ystwyth; Dolgan; Domen Milwyn; Esgair Dderwen; Esgair Elan; Esgair Embor; Esgair Gwngu; Esgair Pwll dwr; Ffaethnant; Ffin; Geifas; Graig Ddu Graig Goch; Hendre Felen; Inn; Lead Mine; Llethr; Llethr Tirion; Llyn Du; Llyn Fyrddon fach; Llyn Gwngu; Nant Gan; Nant Milwyn; Ochr Lwyd; Pen Lan Fedwen; Pen Rhiwlas; Pont-rhyd-y-groes; Rhos y Gafalt; Rhos Waen Lloi; Seran; Trawsallt; Ty coch; Ty Mawr; Waen Claerddu; Weir; Ysbytty Ystwyth; Ysguboriau;


    Frongoch Mine. "The Frongoch Lead & Zinc Mine is situated about 2 miles from Pontrhydygroes in mid Wales. The history and surface remains have been well documented in an excellent book by David Bick......"

    Hendre Felen Mine - on the Mindat site

    Esgair Mwyn Mine - on the Mindat site

    Glogfach & Glogfawr mines. "These mines are situated near Pontrhydygroes from where the deep adit is driven".

    Various items  - on the People's Collection Wales site

    • Workers by Ystwyth river
    • Pontrhydygroes and Ysbyty Ystwyth milkman
    • Logaulas Mine, Ysbyty Ystwyth

    Bick David . Frongoch Lead and Zinc Mine N.M.R.S. British Mining No. 30



    Here is an extract from The Reports of the Commissioners appointed to enquire into the state of Education in Wales. 1847

    Ysbyty Ystwyth School Christmas Party  - on the People's Collection Wales site



    Social Life & Customs

    Various items  - on the People's Collection Wales site

    • Pontrhydygroes and Ysbyty Ystwyth Carnival
    • Pontrhydygroes and Ysbyty Ystwyth Choir