The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"YSPYTTY CYNFYN, a parish in county Cardigan, 10 miles S.E. of Aberystwith. The village is situated on the Rhayader road, near the confluence of the rivers Castel and Rheidol, which unite in a rocky gorge forming a cataract. About half a mile from the village, in a defile, is "Parson's Bridge." There are traces of a hospitium, or sanctuary for travellers, from which the, village takes the prefix to its name, and in the churchyard are four blocks of stone which once formed part of a Druid circle. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of St. David's, value £105, in the patronage of the landowners."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2018