The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"YSPYTTY-YSTRAD-MEIRIC, a parish in the upper division of Ilar hundred, county Cardigan, 6 miles N. E. of Tregaron. It is situated in the hills, about 2 miles from the source of the river Teifi, which emerges from Llyn Teifi, a mountain lake, while tributary streams issue from three smaller lakes, Llynhir, Llyn-y-Gorlan, and Llyn Egnant. A cell formerly existed here belonging to the Abbey of Strata Florida, from which circumstance the village derives its name, Yspytty Ystrad Meiric, signifying "the third hospitium" established in this district, the others being Yspytty Cynfyn and Yspytty Ystwyth. There are also traces of a castle built by Gilbert de Clare, which was frequently taken and retaken by the English and Welsh in the 12th century, and was finally demolished by Mallgwyn in 1207, also a hill fort and cairn. The living is a curacy united with Ysbyty Ystwyth. The charities produce about £240, including the Lledrod charity, and the endowment of the grammar school, or Welsh college founded by Edward Richards in 1757, which has a library attached and an exhibition to St. John's College, Cambridge. A fair is held on 2nd July"
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2018