"ABERNANT (ABER-NANT), a parish, in the union of CARMARTHEN, higher division of the hundred of ELVET . . . 5 miles (W.N.W.) from Carmarthen; containing 890 inhabitants. The village, which is pleasantly situated on the banks of the river Cowin, about two miles westward of the road leading from Carmarthen to Newcastle and Cardigan, was formerly much frequented at the time of the Carmarthen races, which for many years took place within this parish . . . The living is a discharged vicarage, with the perpetual curacy of Convil in Elvet annexed . . The church, dedicated to St Lucia, is a small neat building, pleasantly situated in a small neat building, in a quiet and retired spot. There is a place for worship for Independents. About 60 children are instructed in a day school at the expense of their parents; and there are two Sunday schools, one of which is supported by the vicar. . . " [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1844).]
|St Lucia, Abernant, Church in Wales|
|Bwlchnewydd Independent Chapel, Bwlch-newydd, Abernant|
|Capel Cendy, Independent, Schoolroom, Abernant|
Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants
Parish entry for Abernant with Conwil Elvet from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by (Archive CD Books).
*Michael D Jones was also the founder of the Welsh colony in Patagonia.
For a full history of Bwlchnewydd, see "Hanes Eglwys Annibynnol Bwlchnewydd" by Glyn Davies
Griffiths, G. Milwyn. A Visitation of the Archdeaconry of Carmarthen, 1710 National Library of Wales journal. 1974, Summer Vol XVIII/3. Includes the parish of Aber-Nant
Dyfed FHS have photographs and data relating to various churches and chapels on their site
Parish registers: Christenings, Marriages and Burials (1763-1812) are held at the National Library of Wales; Christenings (1764-1993) Marriages (1754-1965) and Burials (1813-1993) at the Carmarthenshire Record Office.
An index to Christenings (1813-65), Marriages (1754-1875), and Burials (1813-75), is available on microfiche from DFHS.
Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1672, 1675-7, 1679, 1681-4, 1686-7, 1690-1, 1693-5, 1697-9, 1701, 1703-4, 1707-11, 1717, 1721, 1724-40, 1742-6, 1748-68, 1770, 1773, 1775, 1778-9, 1781-5, 1800, 1802, 1804-64) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
Marriage index for this parish - see Dyfed Marriages, 1813-1837, Vol. 15 - Elvet Hundred (Dyfed Family History Society, c1989).
See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg
The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales., byJones, I.G. & Williams, D. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. These statistics for this parish are extracted from this book which in turn got them from the 1851 census itself;
The transcription of the section for Aber-Nant from The National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Aber-Nant to another place.
James Howell 1594-1666 Writer, Historian, Traveller and Historiographer to King Charles 11 - Contributed by Jeni Molyneux
Historic information relating to various memorial tablets in St Lucia's Church, Aber-Nant
- John Howell 1781- 1819 (includes his Will) Surgeon in the East India Company -7th Regiment Native Infantry from Rhydd y Garreg Ddu, Talog, to Kissengunge, India - by Jeni Molyneux
- John Philipps 1801 Esgerva, Abernant -23rd Dec 1867 (includes his Will) The Manor House, Kibworth Harcourt landowner, grazier, antiquarian - by Jeni Molyneux
- Rev. David Lewis (1762 – 1850) and famiy members - by C.Lewis, L.Beresford & Jeni Molyneux.
- James Howell Phillips Private 320314 Welsh Regiment - by Jeni Molyneux
You can see the administrative areas in which Aber-Nant has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Lloyd, Sir John E., (Ed.). A History of Carmarthenshire (2 vols.), Cardiff, London Carmarthenshire Society (1935, 1939). Extracts from this book can be accessed on some parish pages
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SN340263 (Lat/Lon: 51.910023, -4.414101), Aber-Nant which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- OpenStreetMap Cymru (Welsh counties only)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Places, villages, farms etc within Aber-Nant as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Merv Thomas)
Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;
- Abernant Parish Council Records 1738-1960 (accumulated 1894-1960)
Abernant Primary School - on the People's Collection Wales site