The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"ABERGWILI, a parish in the hundred of Elvet, in the county of Carmarthen, South Wales, 2 miles N.E. of Carmarthen, on the road from Carmarthen to Llandilo Fawr. It is pleasantly situated on the Gwilly, at its confluence with the Towy, amidst the meadow grounds watered by these streams. The Gwilly is here crossed by a stone bridge of three arches. A fierce conflict took place on this ground in the year 1020, between Llewellyn-ap-Sytsyllt, Prince of Wales, and a Scottish chief, named Rhun, who pretended that he was the son of Meredydd-ap-Owain; the pretender was defeated and slain. The chief points of interest in the place at present are the old church and the episcopal palace. The church, dedicated to St. David, is very plain, and consists of two aisles, separated by a series of pointed arches and octagonal columns. It has no tower. The churchyard is planted with evergreens. The church was made collegiate in 1287, but its establishment was removed by Henry VIII. to Brecknock College. The episcopal palace stands on the Towy, which winds through the grounds. It is a recent structure, in the Elizabethan style of architecture, the old palace having been allowed to fall into decay. The living is a vicarage,* value £172, in the diocese of St. David's. It is in the patronage of the Dean and Canons of Windsor, but the bishop is by courtesy allowed to present. He is also lord of the manor. Besides the parish church, there has lately been erected a new one at Llanvihangel Uwahgwilly, which is a perpetual curacy, value £75, in the patronage of the vicar. Slate is obtained from quarries in the parish, and many hands are employed in working it. Petty sessions are held once a month. Fairs, chiefly for cattle, take place on the 2nd and 27th October. There are places of worship for Baptists, Independents, and Methodists. Twelve poor children of the parish are educated by means of an endowment of £6 a year, originated by some unknown benefactor. At White Mill, near the village, is a wood, on ground rising steeply from the road, and called Merlin's Grove, where the great enchanter, sage, or sorcerer, resided and was buried. Tradition speaks of a cave in the centre of this wood as the scene of the incantations to which allusion is made in Spenser's "Faery Queen." The principal seats are Cwm-Guilly, and Gallt-y-Gog.
"CRICKLAS, a hamlet in the parish of Abergwili, in the county of Carmarthen, 1½ mile W. of Carmarthen."
"CWMGWILI, a hamlet in the parish of Abergwili, county of Carmarthen, 3 miles N. of Carmarthen. It is situated on the river Gwili, in a fine valley. Here are extensive slate quarries."
"GLANTAWAY, a hamlet in the parish of Abergwili, county Carmarthen, South Wales, within a short distance of the town of Carmarthen."
"HENGIL, a hamlet in the parish of Abergwili, county Carmarthen, 2 miles N.E. of Carmarthen."
"LLANFIHANGEL-UWCH-GUILLY, a chapelry in the parish of Abergwili, county Carmarthen, 5 miles N.E. of Carmarthen. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of St. David's, value £75, in the gift of the vicar of the parish. The church is dedicated to St. Michael."
"VENEY, a hamlet in the parish of Abergwili, county Carmarthen, 2 miles N.E. of Carmarthen."
"YSTYNGWILLY, a hamlet in the parish of Abergwili, hundred of Elvet, county Carmarthen, 2 miles N.E. of Carmarthen, at the confluence of the Gwilly and Towey."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2018