"BRECHVA (BRECHFA), a parish, in the union of LLANDILO-FAWR, higher division of the hundred of CATHINOG ... 11 miles (N.E.) from Carmarthen: containing 109 inhabitants. This parish is pleasantly situated on the river Cothy, a stream abounding with excellent trout, and in a beautifully romantic valley, surrounded on all sides by lofty hills of varied aspect, among which is plenty of game. The soil is fertile; and the lands, which are all inclosed, are in a good state of cultivation. A turnpike-road, connecting the counties of Cardigan, Carmarthen, and Glamorgan, has been constructed, which, passing through the parish, has materially contributed to the increase of population. .. the church, dedicated to St Teilo, and situated at the extremity of the parish, upon the little river Pib, is a small plain edifice, without either tower or spire. There is a place of worship for Calvinistic Methodists. A day school, in which about 50 or 60 pupils are instructed at the expense of their parents, is kept by the rector ..." [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1844).]
Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants
Parish entry from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by (Archive CD Books).
Lenny, Bob, and Thomas, Patrick. Teulu Teilo: a history of the church in Brechfa. Brechfa: Eglwys Sant Teilo, 1993. 45p: ill, ports; 21cm.
From old Brechfa Church site - "The current church was consecrated on 21st November 1893. It replaced an older church that was sited on the current churchyard. The stone from the old church was used to build the current church hall"
Dyfed FHS have photographs and data relating to various churches and chapels on their site
Parish registers: Christenings (1780-1881), Marriages (1806-1970), Banns (1831-1976) and Burials (1780-1915) are at the Carmarthenshire Record Office.
Copy ts PR index Christenings (1813-1986) Marriages (1806-1970) Burials (1813-1915) are at the NLW and Carm. RO
Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1800, 1808-35, 1880-3) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
Marriage index for this parish - see Dyfed Marriages, 1813-1837, Vol. 17 - Cathinog Hundred (Dyfed Family History Society, c1989)
See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg
Chapel (Calvinistic Methodist, c1770), village On Dyfed FHS Bethania Brechfa CM chapel - still open in 2006
The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales., byJones, I.G. & Williams, D. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. These statistics for this parish are extracted from this book which in turn got them from the 1851 census itself;
The transcription of the section for Brechfa from The National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Brechfa to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Brechfa has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Lloyd, Sir John E., (Ed.). A History of Carmarthenshire (2 vols.), Cardiff, London Carmarthenshire Society (1935, 1939). Extracts from this book can be accessed on some parish pages
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SN515300 (Lat/Lon: 51.948179, -4.162488), Brechfa which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- OpenStreetMap Cymru (Welsh counties only)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Places, villages, farms etc within Brechfa parish as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Merv Thomas)