"KIFIG (CYFFIG), a parish, in the union of NARBERTH, county of CARMARTHEN, SOUTH WALES, 5 miles (W. by S.) from St. Clear's; containing 486 inhabitants. The parish is intersected by the old road from St. Clear's to Narberth. The living, which is a perpetual curacy, consolidated with that of Marros, was formerly dependent on the mother church of Laugharne, but having been lately endowed with £8 per annum by the vicar of that parish, and with £600 royal bounty, it was united with Marros; net income, £56; patron, Vicar of Laugharne: the impropriate tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £185, and a vicarial one of £40. There is a place of worship for Baptists. . . " [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1844).]
Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants
Parish entry for Whitland (otherwise Eglwysfair Glyntaf) and Kiffig) from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by (Archive CD Books).
Exterior view of Cyffig Church, produced by Iain Wright, June 2004 .- on the People's Collection Wales site
Griffiths, G. Milwyn. A Visitation of the Archdeaconry of Carmarthen, 1710 National Library of Wales journal. 1974, Summer Vol XVIII/3. Includes the parish of Kyffig, A Chapell of Ease to Lacharn
Dyfed FHS have photographs and data relating to various churches and chapels on their site
Parish registers: Christenings and Burials (1813-1979) and Marriages (1813-1931) are at the Carmarthenshire Record Office. (Earlier registers covering (1725-1812) were recorded in 1931 but are now apparently lost.)
An Index to Christenings (1813-1976), Marriages (1813-1875) and Burials (1813-1875) is available on microfiche from Dyfed FHS.
Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1675, 1677-9, 1682-7, 1690, 1693-1702, 1707-8, 1711, 1715-21, 1724-31, 1733-59, 1761-75, 1777-81, 1784-9, 1791-8, 1802-M, 1842-81) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
Marriage index for this parish - see Dyfed Marriages, 1813-1837, Vol. 14 - Derllys Hundred (Dyfed Family History Society, c1989)
See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg
- Bwlchgwynt (Baptist, c1756), near Bwlchgwynt farm [near Briwnant] Records with those of Moleston (Narberth, Pembrokeshire) and Rhydwilm (Llandisilio) SN21521386 Built before 1800 . Enlarged 1842 & rebuilt/modified 1861 & 1888. Still open 1998 Coflein The disused chapel was sold in Sept 2007, the graveyard remains. Here is a brief history
- Bethania (Calvinistic Methodist, c1859), Trefechan (Tre-Vaughan), Whitland, Cyffig parish SN19951606 Built in 1801 Still open 2000 Coflein
The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales., byJones, I.G. & Williams, D. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. These statistics for this parish are extracted from this book which in turn got them from the 1851 census itself;
The transcription of the section for Cyffig from The National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Cyffig to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Cyffig has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Lloyd, Sir John E., (Ed.). A History of Carmarthenshire (2 vols.), Cardiff, London Carmarthenshire Society (1935, 1939). Extracts from this book can be accessed on some parish pages, see here for this parish
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SN208130 (Lat/Lon: 51.786682, -4.599452), Cyffig which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- OpenStreetMap Cymru (Welsh counties only)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Places, villages, farms etc within Cyffig as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Merv Thomas)
Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;
- Cyffig Parish Council records 1894-1935