Eglwys Fair A Churig
"EGLWYS VAIR Y CHYRIG (EGLWYS FAIR A CHURIG), a chapelry, in the parish of HENLLAN-AMGOED, union of NARBERTH, lower division of the hundred of DERLLYS, county of CARMARTHEN, SOUTH WALES, 11 miles (N.W. by N.) from St. Clear's; containing 288 inhabitants. It is situated in the upper part of the vale of the river Tâf, and on the border of Pembrokeshire, which bounds it to the north. The greater part is inclosed and well cultivated, and there are a few respectable residences. The chapel, which is dedicated to St. David, is a chapel of ease to the rectory of Hênllan-Amgoed." [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1844).]
Rhydyparc Unitarian Chapel, Eglwys Fair a Churig parish - a listing of Memorial Inscriptions is available here.
Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants
Parish entry for Llanwinio and Eglwys Fair-a-Churig from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by (Archive CD Books).
Sefydliad yr achos yn Rhydyparc (Establishment of the Cause at Rhydyparc). Yr Ymofynydd (Aberdare: Jenkin Howell). 9: (1884)
Eglwys Fair a Churig parish, Rhydyparc Unitarian Chapel . Here is a translation by Anne Owen Taylor of part of an article in the December 1958 issue of the Unitarian magazine, Yr Ymofynnydd, describing two visits to Rhydyparc Unitarian Chapel .The passage translated concentrates on the history of the chapel
Griffiths, G. Milwyn. A Visitation of the Archdeaconry of Carmarthen, 1710 National Library of Wales journal. 1974, Summer Vol XVIII/3. Includes the parish of Eglwys Fair a Chyrig
Dyfed FHS have photographs and data relating to various churches and chapels on their site
Parish registers: Christenings and Burials (1813-) are with the incumbent, Marriages (1813-1941) at the Carmarthen Record Office.
PR CMB 1761-1812, recorded in 1831 as being 'much decayed and very imperfect until 1805' apparently lost.
Copy ts PR index M 1813-75 at NLW and Carm.RO
An Index to Christenings (1813-1875) is available on microfiche from Dyfed FHS.
Bishops' Transcripts - see Henllan Amgoed.
Marriage index for this parish - see Dyfed Marriages, 1813-1837, Vol. 14 - Derllys Hundred (Dyfed Family History Society, c1989)
See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg
- Rhydyparc (Unitarian, c1768), Rhydyparc Documents (1818-1907) NLW Ms 13532A; also see Glandwr (Llanfyrnach) and Capel-y-Craig (Trelech a'r Betws) SN22072788 Built pre-1800. Rebuilt/modified 1860. Closed late C19 Coflein
The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales., byJones, I.G. & Williams, D. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. These statistics for this parish are extracted from this book which in turn got them from the 1851 census itself;
The transcription of the section for Eglwys Fair a Churig from The National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Eglwys Fair A Churig to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Eglwys Fair A Churig has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Lloyd, Sir John E., (Ed.). A History of Carmarthenshire (2 vols.), Cardiff, London Carmarthenshire Society (1935, 1939). With the kind permission of the publishers sundry extracts from this book can be accessed on some parish pages, see below for this parish.
- With reference to churches in the county dedicated to saints......"Early dedications to the Virgin are fewer in number, as the case in the Liber Landavensis; Llanfair ar y bryn, Kidwelly and Eglwys Fair a Churig exhaust the list...."
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SN210280 (Lat/Lon: 51.921769, -4.605031), Eglwys Fair A Churig which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- OpenStreetMap Cymru (Welsh counties only)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Places, villages, farms etc within Eglwys Fair a Churig as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Lynne Kleingertner)