"LLANGAN (LLAN-GAN), a parish, in the union of NARBERTH, chiefly in the lower division of the hundred of DERLLYS, county of CARMARTHEN, but partly in the hundred of DUNGLEDDY, county of PEMBROKE, SOUTH WALES, 16 miles (W.) from Carmarthen; containing 640 inhabitants, of which number, 603 are in Carmarthenshire, and the remainder in the Pembrokeshire portion. On the banks of the Tâf, in this parish, anciently stood the famous Ty Gwyn ar Dâf, or "the White House on the Tâf," an occasional residence of Hywel Dda, sovereign of all Wales . . . The parish is pleasantly situated on the river Tâf, and intersected by the old Whitland road from Carmarthen to Haverfordwest; it comprehends a large tract of arable and pasture land, the whole of which, with a very small exception, is inclosed and in a good state of cultivation. . . The church, dedicated to St. Canna, is a neat modern edifice, rebuilt in the year 1820, and consisting of a nave and chancel . . . There are two Sunday schools, in which 110 children are taught gratuitously by the dissenters. . . " [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1844).]
Higham, B. Rev. David Jones, the angel of Llangan, [S.l.], Brian Higham (1995) 24 p. [Paper given at the Congregational Studies Conference 1995 at Westminster Chapel, London] p.
Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants
Parish entry for Henllan Amgoed and Llangan from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by (Archive CD Books).
Griffiths, G. Milwyn. A Visitation of the Archdeaconry of Carmarthen, 1710 National Library of Wales journal. 1974, Summer Vol XVIII/3. Includes the parish of Llan Gan
Dyfed FHS have photographs and data relating to various churches and chapels on their site
Parish registers: Christenings (1768-93, 1813-1989), Marriages (1769-1963) and Burials (1768-94, 1813-1992) are at the Pembrokeshire Record Office, and microfiche copies are at the Carmarthenshire Record Office.
Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1677-9, 1681-5, 1690-1, 1693-5, 1697-9, 1704-5, 1707-8, 1711, 1713, 1715-18, 1720-2, 1725-7, 1729-83, 1785-92, 1794-5, 1805, 1807-31, 1833, 1837, 1840) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
Marriage index for this parish - see Dyfed Marriages, 1813-1837, Vol. 14 - Derllys Hundred (Dyfed Family History Society, c1989)
See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg
- Nazareth (Baptist, c1845), Market St, Whitland, Llan-gan parish SN20041661 Built 1849. Rebuilt 1861 & enlarged 1894 See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg Still open 1998 Coflein
- English Congregational Chapel, North Rd, Whitland, Llan-gan parish SN19771671 Stone laid in September, 1910 Still open in 1998 Coflein
The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales., byJones, I.G. & Williams, D. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. These statistics for this parish are extracted from this book which in turn got them from the 1851 census itself;
The transcription of the section for Llan-gan from The National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Llan-Gan to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Llan-Gan has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Lloyd, Sir John E., (Ed.). A History of Carmarthenshire (2 vols.), Cardiff, London Carmarthenshire Society (1935, 1939). Extracts from this book can be accessed on some parish pages, see here for this parish.
Plan of Llangan parish in the Counties of Pembroke and Carmarthen - on the People's Collection Wales site
NB.The map link for Llan-Gan itself is aimed at the church of St Canna which is within that part of Llan-Gan parish in Pembrokeshire --- the bulk of the Carmarthenshire section of the parish is to the north and east of this spot.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SN197196 (Lat/Lon: 51.846028, -4.61855), Llan-Gan which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- OpenStreetMap Cymru (Welsh counties only)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Places, villages, farms etc within Llan-Gan as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Katherine Hocking)
Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;
- Whitland Parish Council Records "Including ; ....... Llangan vestry book 1844 - 1896......"