Hide

LLANARTHNEY

hide
Hide

1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland

In 1868, the parish of Llanarthney contained the following places:

"LLANARTHNEY, a parish in the hundred of Iskennen, county Carmarthen, 6 miles S.W. of Llandilo-Fawr, and 8 E. of Carmarthen, its post town. The village, which is considerable, is situated at the foot of Mynydd Mawr, on the banks of the river Towy, which is here crossed by a bridge. The parish includes the hamlet of Llanllyan and several other small places. There are limestone quarries and collieries. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St. David's, value £336, in the patronage of the bishop. The church, dedicated to St. David, is much decayed, and has an ancient stone cross. There are two Calvinistic Methodist chapels. In the neighbourhood are the castles of Dryslwyn and Dynevor, also Grongar Hill, and other places of interest. Here is a chalybeate spring. Middleton Hall is the principal residence."

"LLANLLYAN, a township in the parish of Llanarthney, county Carmarthen, 7 miles W. of Llandilo Fawr. It lies at the foot of the Myndd Mawr Mountain."

"MIAWST, a hamlet in the parish of Llanarthney, county Carmarthen, 7 miles E. of Carmarthen."

"MYDDFEI, a hamlet in the parish of Llanarthney, county Carmarthen, 6 miles S.W. of Llandilo Fawr."

"MYHATHAN, a hamlet in the parish of Llanarthney, county Carmarthen, 6 miles S.W. of Llandilo Fawr."

"TRECASTELL, a hamlet in the parish of Llanarthney, county Carmarthen, 6 miles S.W. of Llandilo Fawr, on the river Towy."

"TRECHHGWYNNON, a hamlet in the parish of Llanarthney, county Carmarthen, 6 miles S.W. of Llandilo Fawr."

"TRECLAS, a hamlet in the parish of Llanarthney, county Carmarthen, 6 miles S.W. of Llandilo Fawr. It contains the parish church, which is situated on the river Towy."

"TREFROYAN, a hamlet in the parish of Llanarthney, county Carmarthen, 6 miles W. of Llandilo-fawr."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2018