The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868

In 1868, the parish of Llanboidy contained the following places:

"LLANBOIDY, a parish in the hundred of Derllys, county Carmarthen, 12 miles N.W. of Carmarthen, and 7 from St. Clears, its post town. It is situated on the Roman road Via Julia. A tributary of the river *Taff flows through the parish, which is divided into Upper and Lower, and includes the townships of Rigwm and Whitland. Iron is found, but not extensively worked. The village is considerable, and neatly built. The tithes were commuted in 1839. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St. David's, value £136, in the patronage of the bishop. The church is a small ancient structure. There is also the district church of St. David's, the living of which is a perpetual curacy, value £66. At Dol Wilym in this parish are a barrow, cromlech, and Druidical circle, 60 feet in diameter. At Cilymaenllwyd Camp several silver coins of Roman origin were discovered in Camden's time. A fair is held on the 18th September. The principal residence is Maes Gwynne, a seat of the Powell family."

"KILHERNIN, a township in the parish of Llanboidy, hundred of Derllys, county Carmarthen, 13 miles N.W. of Carmarthen. It is situated near a branch of the river *Taff and the old Roman road Via Julia. At a place called Dol Wilym is a cromlech composed of five stones, one of which is near 30 feet round; and at a short distance is a Druidical circle above 20 yards in diameter."

"RIGWM, a hamlet in the parish of Llanboidy, county Carmarthen, 9 miles N.W. of Laugharne."

"WHITLAND, a village in the parish of Llanboidy, county Carmarthen, 8 miles N.W. of Langharne. It is a station on the Great Western railway. The village is situated on the river *Taff, and is celebrated by tradition as the site of "Ty Gwyn ar Tad;" or the White House of Howel Dha, where that sage, assisted by 13 wise men, composed the laws of Wales in the early part of the 10th century. The Abbey, the seat of the Yelvertons, was built out of the ruins of a Cistercian priory, founded here in 1143 by Bishop Bernard, and valued at the Dissolution at £135."

*Correct spelling is Taf

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2018