Hide

LLANDDAROG

hide
Hide

1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland

In 1868, the parish of Llanddarog contained the following places:

"LLANDDAROG, (or Llandavog), a parish in the hundred of Iskennen, county Carmarthen, 6 miles S.E. of Carmarthen, its post town, and 10 S.W. of Llandilo-Fawr. The hamlets of Cellay, Cynnillfawr, Llwynswch, and Tregwn are included in this parish, which is watered by a small stream called Gwendraeth Fawr. Here are coal-pits and limestone quarries. The tithes were commuted in 1839. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of St. David's, value £81, in the patronage of the bishop. The church is dedicated to St. Twrog. The Calvinistic Methodists have two chapels. There are traces of ancient chapels. Lletherllestry is the principal seat.

"CILLAY, a hamlet in the parish of Llanddarog, in the county of Carmarthen, 6 miles E. of Carmarthen."

"CYNNILLFAWR, a hamlet in the parish of Llanddarog, in the county of Carmarthen, 5 miles S.E. of Carmarthen. It is situated on the Gwendraeth Vach river."

"GELLYDY, a hamlet in the parish of Llanddarog, county Carmarthen, South Wales, 6 miles S.W. of Carmarthen."

"LLWYNSWCH, a hamlet in the parish of Llanddarog, county Carmarthen, 6 miles S.E. of Carmarthen. This is united with Gellydy."

"MIDDLETON HALL, a demesne in the parish of Llanddarog, and hundreds of Elvet and Derllys, county Carmarthen, 6 miles E. of Carmarthen. It is situated near the river Teivi, and was built by Cockerell for Sir W. Paxton. The old seat of the Myddletons is still standing in the grounds, also the Nelson pillar."

"TREGARN, a hamlet in the parish of Llanddarog, county Carmarthen, 6 miles S.E. of Carmarthen."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2018