"LLANTHOYSAINT (LLAN-Y-DDEU-SANT), a parish, in the union of LLANDOVERY, lower division of the hundred of PERVERTH, county of CARMARTHEN, SOUTH WALES, 6 miles (S.E. by E.) from Llangadock; comprising the hamlets of Blaen-Sawdde with Maes-y-Fynnon, and Quarter Mawr with Gwydre, and containing 942 inhabitants. . . It comprises 11,510 acres, of which 7307 are cultivated, and 4203 uninclosed mountainous land, over which the inhabitants have a right of pasturage and turbary. The surrounding scenery is strikingly diversified, combining features of picturesque and rural beauty with objects of bold and romantic grandeur. That part of the Black Mountain which is within the parish forms the loftiest elevation in the county . . . The church, dedicated to St. Simon and St. Jude, is inconveniently situated at the eastern extremity of the parish, at the foot of the Black Mountain . . . A fair is held annually in the village on the 10th of October. The living is annexed to the vicarage of Llangadock. . . There is a meeting-house for Calvinistic Methodists, who have also five Sunday schools, in which 620 males and females are taught gratuitously; and there is a day school, in which 60 children are instructed at the expense of their parents." [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1844).]
Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants
Parish entry from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by (Archive CD Books).
Colour digital photographic survey of Pisgah Chapel (Calvinistic Methodist;Llanddeusant;Ysgoldy) by Stephen Hughes, 15/04/2003. - on the People's Collection Wales site
- Traethawd ar Eglwys Plwyf Llanddeusant [Essays on the parish church of Llanddeusant] gan " Hanesydd o'r Cyn Oesau" dd c 1850-1900
Dyfed FHS have photographs and data relating to various churches and chapels on their site
PR prior to 1813 were reported in 1831 to have been 'partially destroyed by fire', leaving only a few very imperfect loose leaves (1784-1809) then extant and now apparently lost. Diocesan records suggest that c1790 there was a PR here going back 40 years.
Parish registers: Christenings (1816-1980), Marriages (1813-1924), Banns (1824-1966) and Burials (1816-81) are at the Carmarthenshire Record Office, with fac C (1816-1980) at NLW
Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1677-8, 1681-7, 1690, 1693, 1697-9, 1702-3, 1707, 1716, 1719, 1721, 1724-8, 1730-1, 1735-6, 1738-40, 1742, 1744-51, 1753-80, 1782-3, 1785-1800, 1802-6, 1809-12, 1814-67, 1871) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by the LDS.
Marriage index for this parish - see Dyfed Marriages, 1813-1837, Vol. 21 - Perfedd Hundred (Dyfed Family History Society, c1989)
See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg
- Talsarn (Calvinistic Methodist, 1860), Talsarn SN77842607 Built 1860 Still open 2000 Coflein
- Twynllanon (Calvinistic Methodist, 1742), Twnllannan Births and baptisms (1816-37) PRO RG4/3539, LDS 815972, IGI See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg
- SN75552447 Built in 1790, enlarged 1827 & rebuilt/modified 1899 & 1910. Coflein Twynllanan Llanddeusant CM chapel - still open in 2006
The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales., byJones, I.G. & Williams, D. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. These statistics for this parish are extracted from this book which in turn got them from the 1851 census itself;
The transcription of the section for Llanddeusant from The National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Llanddeusant to another place.
Evans, T.O. Roots and branches: a geneaology [sic.] of some of the older families of the parishes of Llanddeusant and Llywel[Bre], Aberhonddu ,T.O. Evans (1988) 192 p., maps.The named families are Evan, Morgans, Lewis, Williams, George, Price, Llewelly and David. Also available on Cd from ((Archive CD Books), 2003.
You can see the administrative areas in which Llanddeusant has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Jones, G. The Springboard or Tom Evans Revisited. Dyfed FHS journal Vol7/6 Dec 2001. Based on the book by Tom Evans 'Roots and Branches' (1988) described as a genealogy of some of the old families of Llanddeusant, Llywel and neighbouring parishes. This article features the Rev. Timothy Davies (1802-62), son of the curate of Llanddeusant.
Lloyd, Sir John E., (Ed.). A History of Carmarthenshire (2 vols.), Cardiff, London Carmarthenshire Society (1935, 1939). Extracts from this book can be accessed on some parish pages, see here for this parish
Various items - on the People's Collection Wales site
- Llanddeusant Special Rate Book. This rate book of 1881 has many pages, [names of occupiers and owners] and covers many properties in the district.
- Llanddeusant Poor Rate Book 1886. A complete rate book of the sprawling village of Llanddeusant, year 1886 [names of occupiers and owners]
Documents at the National Library of Wales:
- Records of the Welsh estates of the earls of Ashburnham, 1392-1923. The chief estates were Porthamal, Breconshire, and in the parishes of Llanddeusant, Myddfai and Pembrey.
Beckley, Susan. The Blaensawdde estate maps. Sir Gar (1991), p. 37-42
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SN772229 (Lat/Lon: 51.890951, -3.786206), Llanddeusant which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- OpenStreetMap Cymru (Welsh counties only)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Places, villages, farms etc within Llanddeusant parishas shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Gareth Hicks)
Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;
- Llanddeusant Parish Council and Community Council Records 1894-1977