In 1868, the parish of Llandingat contained the following places:
"LLANDINGAT, a parish in the hundreds of Perfedd and Cayo, county Carmarthen, 12 miles N.E. of Llandilo Fawr, and 1 mile from Llandovery, its post town. It is situated on the rivers Bren and Towey, and includes the borough of Llandovery, and the hamlets of Forest, Telych, and Ystrad. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of St. David's, value with Llanvair-ar-y-bryh, £254, in the patronage of the bishop. The parish church, dedicated to St. Dingal, stands on the site of an old Roman camp. There' is also the district church of Ystradffyn, a perpetual curacy, value £59. The charities amount to £2 per annum. Coins an other Roman remains have been found here."
"FOREST, a hamlet in the parish of Llandingat, and hundred of Perfedd, county Carmarthen, South Wales, on the river Towy, within a short distance of Llandovery."
"LLANDOVERY, a municipal borough and market town in the parish of Llandingat, hundred of Perfedd, county Carmarthen, 21 miles S.E. of Lampeter, 24 N.E. of Carmarthen, and 192 from London. It has a station on the Llanelly and Vale of Towey railway. It is situated near the confluence of the rivers Bran and Gwdderig. The whole neighbourhood is well watered by streams abounding with fish. The Roman highway Sam Helen, on which there was a station, passed in the vicinity. The town consists of one main street, and eight smaller ones branching from it. It contains a spacious market-house recently erected, and the shell of a castle built about the 12th century, which, after passing through several families, was destroyed by Cromwell's orders. At the E. end of the town is a curious old house, built in 1620 by Vicar Pritchard, the bard. The town was incorporated in the reign of Richard III.; and its present government is vested in a mayor, 4 aldermen, and 12 common councilmen, but with no magisterial functions. Petty sessions for the hundred are held weekly, and a county court monthly. It is a polling-place for the county elections. The workhouse for the Llandovery Poor-law Union is in this parish. There are lead mines and corn-mills, but no manufactures are carried on. The trade is chiefly local, being connected with the markets and fairs, and the supply of the summer visitors. The living is a vicarage annexed to that of Llandingat. The church, called Llanfair-ar-y-Bryn, stands on rather high ground, in the middle of the old Roman station. The Independents, Baptists, Calvinistic and Wesleyan Methodists, have chapels. There are National and British schools for boys and girls; also the Welsh collegiate institution, founded in 1849, by Thomas Phillips, Esq., of London, for the purpose of imparting to young men of the principality a sound classical and mathematical education, in addition to a thorough knowledge of their mother tongue. The building is in the Tudor style of architecture, and complete in all its departments. In the neighbourhood there are remains of the ancient castle, and proceeding up the river, which is here crossed by a bridge, the country presents a somewhat rugged appearance. Earl Cawdor is lord of the manor. There are many good residences. Market days are Wednesday and Saturday. Fairs are held on 17th April, 6th June, 2nd August, 22nd October, and 16th November, for the sale of horses, cattle, and live stock."
"NANTYMWYN, a hamlet in the parish of Llandingat, county Carmarthen, 5 miles N. of Llandovery, and 28 N.E. of Carmarthen. It is situated in the vale of the river Towey, among the hills, and belongs to Earl Cawdor. In the vicinity are extensive lead mines."
"TELYCH, a hamlet in the parish of Llandingat, hundred of Perfedd, county Carmarthen, near Llandovery."
"YSTRAD, a hamlet and chapelry in the parish of Llandingat, hundreds of Perfedd and Cayo, county Carmarthen, 2 miles from Llandovery, near the rivers Bren and Towy."