Hide

LLANEGWAD

hide
Hide

1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland

In 1868, the parish of Llanegwad contained the following places:

"LLANEGWAD, a parish in the hundreds of Cathinog and Elvet, county Carmarthen, 8 miles S.W. of Llandilo Fawr, its post town, and 9 from Carmarthen. It is situated at the confluence of the rivers Cothi and Towy, and includes eight hamlets, the principal being Hernin and Monachty. The soil is fertile, and copper is obtained. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St. David's, value £259, in the patronage of the bishop. The church is dedicated to St. Egwad. The Calvinistic Methodists have a chapel. The parochial endowments produce about £100 per annum."

"EGWAD, a hamlet in the parish of Llanegwad, county Carmarthen, 7 miles N.E. of the town of Carmarthen."

"HERNIN, a hamlet in the parish of Llanegwad, county Carmarthen, 6 miles W. of Llandilo-Fawr."

"LLECHFRAITH and LLECHGRON, hamlets in the parish of Llanegwad, county Carmarthen, in the vicinity of the town of Carmarthen."

"LLETHERGELE, a township in the parish of Llanegwad, county Carmarthen, 7 miles E. of Cardigan."

"MIROS, a hamlet in the parish of Llanegwad, county Carmarthen, 7 miles E. of Carmarthen."

"MONACHTY, a hamlet in the parish of Llanegwad, hundred of Elvet, county Carmarthen, 7 miles E. of Carmarthen."

"YSTRAD, a hamlet in the parish of Llanegwad, county Carmarthen, 7 miles E. of Carmarthen."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2018