LLANFALLTEG - From Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Wales (1833)
LLANVALTEG (LLAN-VALLTEG), a parish comprising two divisions, each separately maintaining its own poor, of which one is in the lower division of the hundred of DERLLYS, county of CARMARTHEN, and the other in that of DUNGLEDDY, county of PEMBROKE, SOUTH WALES, 5 1/2 miles (N.E.) from Narberth, containing 334 inhabitants, of which number, 281 are in that division which is in the county of Carmarthen, and 53 in that which is in the county of Pembroke. This parish, which derives its name from the dedication of its church, is pleasantly situated near the right bank of the river Tâf, which is here crossed by a bridge, and on the turnpike road from Narberth to Newcastle-Emlyn, and comprises a tract of land which is all enclosed, and of which by far the greater part is in a state of cultivation. The surrounding scenery, though not distinguished by any striking peculiarity of feature, is generally pleasing, and the soil, though various, is not unproductive. The living is a discharged rectory, in the archdeaconry of Carmarthen, and diocese of St. David's, rated in the king's books at £4, endowed with £200 royal bounty, and in the patronage of the Bishop. The church, which is dedicated to St. Mallteg, and situated in that division of the parish which is in the county of Pembroke, has been rebuilt within the last forty years, by a parochial rate, and is a neat edifice appropriately adapted to the performance of divine service. The average annual expenditure for the maintenance of the poor is £83. 15., of which sum, £60. 2. is raised on the portion in the county of Carmarthen, and £23. 13. in the county of Pembroke.
Gareth Hicks, 29 Dec 1999