Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for LLANFIHANGEL-ABERBYTHYCH

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

LLANFIHANGEL-ABERBYTHYCH

In 1868, the parish of Llanfihangel Aberbythych contained the following places:

"LLANFIHANGEL-ABERBYTHYCH, a parish in the hundred of Iskennen, county Carmarthen, 3 miles S.W. of Llandilo Fawr, its post town, and 11 E. of Carmarthen. It is situated on the S. bank of the Towey, near the confluence of the two rivers Bythie and Towey. The Llanelly and Vale of Towey railway passes through the neighbourhood, and has a station at Llandilo. The parish includes the hamlets of Berrach, Calliver, and several others. Limestone is quarried. The manor forms part of the Duchy of Lancaster. The tithes were commuted in 1839. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of St. David's, value £72. The church is dedicated to St. Michael, and was built in the early part of the 17th century by the Vaughan family. Within a short distance are the seats Dynevor Castle, Gronger Hill, and Dryslwyn."

"BERRACH, a hamlet in the parish of Llanfihangel Aberbythych, hundred of Iskennen, in the county of Carmarthen, South Wales, 2 miles from Llandilo Fawr."

"BRYNGWYNE, a hamlet joined with the township of Calliver, in the parish of Llanfihangel-Aberbythych, hundred of Iskennen, in the county of Carmarthen, South Wales, 5 miles to the W. of Llandilo-fawr."

"CALLIVER, a township united with the hamlets of Berrach and Bryngwyne, in the parish of Llanfihangel-Aberbythych, hundred of Iskennen, in the county of Carmarthen, South Wales, 2 miles to the W. of Llandeilofawr. It is near the river Towy."

"CATHARGOED, a hamlet in the parish of Llanfihangel-Aberbythych, hundred of Iskennen, in the county of Carmarthen, South Wales, 5 miles to the S. of Llandeilofawr. It is seated near the river Towy, and the Llanelly and Vale of Towy railway. It is joined with the hamlets of Cathilas and Glynn."

"CATHILAS, a hamlet in the parish of Llanfihangel-Aberbythych, hundred of Iskennen, in the county of Carmarthen, South Wales, 6 miles to the S. of Llandeilofawr. It is united with the hamlet of Cathargoed."

"CILYGERNANT, a hamlet in the parish of Llanfihangel-Aberbythych, in the parish and county of Carmarthen, 3 miles W. of Llandeilo-fawr."

"GLYNN, a hamlet united with Cathargoed, in the parish of Llanfihangel-Aberbythych, county Carmarthen, 3 miles S.W, of Llandilo- fawr."

"GOLDEN GROVE, a seat of the Earl of Cawdor, near Llandilo Fawr in the parish of Llanfihangel Aberbythych, county Carmarthen, South Wales. It formerly belonged to Lord Carberry; and here Jeremy Taylor composed his "Golden Grove," and several other of his works."

"LLAN, a hamlet in the parish of Llanfihangel-Aberbythych, county Carmarthen, 4 miles S.W. of Llandilo-fawr. This prefix to manyWelsh places designates churches of British origin."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2018