"LLANMIHANGEL-RHÔSYCORN (LLAN-VIHANGEL-RHÔS-Y-CORN), a parish, in the union of LAMPETER, higher division of the hundred of CATHINOG, county of CARMARTHEN, SOUTH WALES, 12 miles (N.E.) from Carmarthen; containing 709 inhabitants. It is situated in the northern part of the county, and comprehends, in addition to a considerable portion of mountainous and waste land, a large tract of inclosed arable and pasture. The surrounding scenery is distinguished by features rather of a bold and striking character than of pleasing and picturesque appearance; and the views from the higher grounds embrace extensive, and in some cases interesting, prospects . . . A woolen manufacture is carried on upon a limited scale, affording employment to a small number of persons. The living is annexed to the vicarage of Llanllwny; the church is a small edifice, undistinguished by any architectural details; and occupies a dreary elevated position, remote from all habitations. There is a place of worship for the Independents. . ." [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1844).]
Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;
- Clynmardy Farm, Gwernogle, Accounts 1953-1980 "Mr and Mrs W. R. Matthews worked Clynmardy Farm, Gwernogle, [Llanfihangel Rhos-y-corn], Carmarthenshire, from 1950 until July 1979"
|Nantyffin Welsh Independent Chapel, Nant-Y-Ffin, Abergorlech, Llanfihangel Rhos-y-Corn|
|Ty Cwrdd Welsh Independent Chapel, Gwernogle, near Brechfa, Llanfihangel Rhos-y-Corn|
|Cwmwrdu Welsh Unitarian Chapel, Cwmmawr, Cwmwrdu, Llanfihangel Rhos-y-Corn|
Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants
Parish entry from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by (Archive CD Books).
Llanfihangel Rhos-y-corn Church - on the Cistercian Way site
Llanfihangel Rhos-y-Corn Church - "Llanfihangel Rhos Y Corn Church is the most ancient of our (group of) churches. The oldest part of the church was built in the 13th century. The second nave was added c. 1500"
Davies, T. Eirug. Braslun o hanes eglwys Annibynnol Gwernogle ar gyfer dathlu dau can mlwyddiant y ty cwrdd, Hydref 19 a'r 20, 1949. [An Outline History of Gwernogle Independent Church]. Llandysul, 1949, 36p.
Evans Timothy. Hanes eglwys Annibynnol Gwernogle o'i chychwyniad yn 1650 hyd ddiwedd y ganrif bresenol, a'r adroddiad am y flwyddyn 1900, (Pencader, 1901), 18p.
Griffiths, G. Milwyn. A Visitation of the Archdeaconry of Carmarthen, 1710 National Library of Wales journal. 1974, Summer Vol XVIII/3. Includes the parish of Llan Fihangel Rhos y Corn
Dyfed FHS have photographs and data relating to various churches and chapels on their site
Parish registers: Christenings (1768-1932), Marriages (1754-1967), Banns (1823-1937) and Burials (1768-1812), and a Facsimile of Burials (1813-1979) are at the Carmarthenshire Record Office.
Copy ts PR index (1754-1875) at Carm.RO
Copy ts PR index C (1813-1986) M (1754-1966) B (1813-1985) at NLW
Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1672, 1677-9, 1682-6, 1690-1, 1694-6, 1698-9, 1702-4, 1707, 1711, 1713, 1716-17, 1719-20, 1722, 1724-34, 1737, 1739, 1741-2, 1744-51, 1754-6, 1758-64, 1768, 1770-2, 1774-6, 1778, 1780-1, 1785-1800, 1802-35, 1853-5, 1865-7, 1872) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
Marriage index for this parish - see Dyfed Marriages, 1813-1837, Vol. 17 - Cathinog Hundred (Dyfed Family History Society, c1989)
See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg
- Gwernogle (Independent, bef 1750), Gwernogle Baptisms and members (1813-21) NLW On Dyfed FHS Shown as still open on the Union of Welsh Independents site (Dec 2006)
Rees, Thomas & John Thomas. Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches),4 volumes (published 1871+). Here is the entry from this book for this chapel (in Welsh ) - with translation by Gareth Hicks (Dec 2008)
- NANTYFFIN WELSH INDEPENDENT CHAPEL, NANT-Y-FFIN, ABERGORLECH;NANT-Y-FFIN - was built pre-1900, ....at the end of a terrace of 3 cottages. The chapel became derelict by 1976 and was demolished in 1995. coflein
- Cwmwrdu (Unitarian, 1785), Cwmmawr, Cwmwrdu Schedules and notes NLW Ms 4457; photographs and a memorial inscription, Carmarthenshire R.O. SN53523287 First chapel built for the Unitarians 1832, in 1863 chapel re-purchased for the Unitarians. Not still open 1999 Coflein
The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales., byJones, I.G. & Williams, D. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. These statistics for this parish are extracted from this book which in turn got them from the 1851 census itself;
The transcription of the section for Llanfihangel-Rhos-y-Corn from The National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Llanfihangel Rhos-y-Corn to another place.
Morris, Ray. GRIFFITHS of Rhos-y-Corn. Dyfed FHS journal, Vol 7/2 The author explores the possibility that an ancestor, pictured in an old photograph, was awarded the VC in 1867
You can see the administrative areas in which Llanfihangel Rhos-y-Corn has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Lloyd, Sir John E., (Ed.). A History of Carmarthenshire (2 vols.), Cardiff, London Carmarthenshire Society (1935, 1939). Extracts from this book can be accessed on some parish pages, here they are for this parish;
- The Census of 1676 ;- "Of the six scattered parishes that supplied Mynydd Bach, the counters (curiously enough) could only find a few Nonconformists in the parish of Llanfihangel Rhosycorn, lying far away in the high land beyond the Cothi.
- Economic and Social Life/Secondary Education;- "Madam Bevan's Charity schools remained until their abolition (c 1854), when they were nine in number .......(including) .... Llanfihangel Rhosycorn...."
- Medieval divisions ;- In early medieval terms Carmarthenshire was made up of Ystrad Tywi [without Gower], Emlyn Uch Cuch and Y Cantref Gwarthaf [without Efelffre]. At some point pre the Norman conquest Ystrad Tywi itself was divided into Y Cantref Mawr and Y Cantref Bychan. About the time of the Norman conquest, Cantref Mawr was divided into the seven commotes of Mallaen, Caeo, Maenor Deilo, Cetheiniog, Widigada, Mabelfyw and Mabudrud. To the latter belonged the parishes of Llanllwni, Llanfihangel Rhosycorn, Llanfihangel Ioreth and Brechfa.
- Castles, Boroughs, and Religious Houses/Monastic Land & Revenues;- "A document dated 1388 states that the king had become the patron of the free chapel of Llanfihangel Rhosycorn --- recently granted to Carmarthen Priory and situated within the royal demesne of Glyncothi --- as a result of the rebellion of Rhys ap Maredudd and by reason of the fact that it had been dedicated without the king's licence and so, according to Welsh law, was forfeit to the king. The chapel had been in the hands of the Prior for 19 years and brought him a revenue of £10 per annum. This document defines 'frank almoign' as 'free of secular service'. "
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SN527348 (Lat/Lon: 51.991863, -4.146008), Llanfihangel Rhos-y-Corn which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- OpenStreetMap Cymru (Welsh counties only)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Places, villages, farms etc within Llanfianghel Rhos-y-Corn parish as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Merv Thomas)
Clychau'r Cwm: the parish newspaper of Brechfa, Abergorlech & Llanfihangel Rhos-y-corn. is published by Patrick Thomas, of Brechva.
Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;
- Llanfihangel Rhosycorn Parish Council and Community Council records 1868-1982