Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for Llangadock

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

Llangadock

Primary tabs

See the Kain maps for  details of the hamlets within the blue overlay on the above map

"LLANGADOCK (LLAN-GADOG-FAWR), a market-town and parish, comprising the hamlets of Above-Sawdde, Dyfryn-Cydrich, and Gwynve, in the union of LLANDOVERY, lower division of the hundred of PERVERTH, county of CARMARTHEN, SOUTH WALES, 21 miles (E.N.E.) from Carmarthen; and 188 (W. by N.) from London, and containing 2064 inhabitants. This parish, which derives its name from the dedication of its church to St. Cadog, is of very remote antiquity . . . The TOWN is beautifully situated between the rivers Brân and Sawdde, over the former of which it has a neat stone bridge of three elliptic arches . . . it consists principally of one spacious street, containing several well built houses of respectable appearance, and is abundantly supplied with water, but neither paved nor lighted. . . the parish contains coal, limestone, and lead and iron ores, the two former of which are wrought on a moderate scale, employing fifty to sixty persons each during the summer months . . . The PARISH contains 22,642 a. 3 r. 7 p., of which, by computation, 7000 acres are common, and, by admeasurement, 6812 a. 3 r. 7 p. arable, 8000 pasture and meadow, and 830 woodland; the soil is a good loam, and the chief produce, wheat, barley, and oats. . . The LIVING is a vicarage, with Llanthoysaint annexed . . . In the hamlet of Gwynve is an endowed chapel, in the gift of the Vicar of Llangadock. There are places of worship for Baptists, Independents, Wesleyans, and Calvinistic Methodists; and . . . five day schools . . ." [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1844).]

topup

Biography

A brief and authentic narrative of that unfortunate young man, Rees Thos. Rees, of Llangadock, in the County of Carmarthen, who was executed ... 19th April, 1817. Carmarthen: Evan Jones, Printer, [1817] 8p; 18cm.
topup

Business and Commerce Records

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Morgan Morgan, Builders, Bryncoch, Gwynfe, Records 1920-1923
topup

Cemeteries

Monumental inscriptions for Gibea Congregational Chapel, Upper Brynamman, are available on microfiche from Dyfed FHS.

Anglican
St Cadog, Llangadog
Congregational / Independent
Welsh Independent Chapel, Bethlehem
topup

Church History

Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants

  • Above Sawdde Hamlet
  • Llangadock Vawr Parish Church Thomas Davies, Vicar
  • Goshen CM Erected in 1792, re-erected in 1840 Benjamin David Thomas, Minister
  • Ebenezer WM Erected in 1808 Henry Evans, Class Leader
  • Providence Ind Erected in 1840 John Williams, Minister
  • Dyffrun Cidrich Hamlet
  • Bethlehem Ind Erected in 1800 David Jones, Minister
  • Sion, Careg Llawdde Calvinistic Baptist Erected in 1807 Rees Evans, Minister
  • Gwynfe Quarter Bach [Hamlet]
  • Jerusalem Ind Erected before 1800 D Lewis, Deacon
  • Gibea Ind Erected in 1843 Hopkin Herbert, Deacon, Aman Iron Works, Nr Llandilo
  • Gwynfe Chapel, an ancient chapelry David Davies, Curate

Parish entry for Llangadock from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by (Archive CD Books).

  • St Cadoc
  • Incumbent and Curates; J Titus
  • Rural Deanery of Llangadock
  • Acreage 18,633 ; Population 1,128

Parish entry for Brynamman from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by (Archive CD Books).

  • St Catherine & St Margaret's, Cwmllynfell
  • Incumbent and Curates; J W Hughes (D T Jones)
  • Rural Deanery of Llandilo
  • Acreage 7,704 ; Population 5,757

Parish entry for Gwynfe from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by (Archive CD Books).

  • All Saints
  • Incumbent and Curates; J Davies
  • Rural Deanery of Llangadock
  • Acreage ---; Population 417

For Brynaman chapels see the Cwmgors a'r Waun site

Llangadog, Capel Gwynfe and Bethlehem - contains photographs of the following;

  • St Cadog Parish Church
  • Providence chapel [Ind]
  • Gosen Methodist chapel
  • All Saints Church, Gwynfe
  • Capel Maen, Gwynfe
  • Bethlehem chapel [Ind]
  • Jerusalem chapel, Gwynfe [Ind]
  • Pontbrenaraeth Baptist chapel, Bethlehem

Gwynfe was an ancient chapelry here, whose pre-1812 records were entered in the Llangadock PRs. Its marriages (1837-1970) are at the Carmarthenshire R.O.

Evans, Joseph Llewelyn. Braslun o hanes yr achos yng Nghapel Maen, Gwynfe, (1853-1953), (Llandysul, 1953), 16p.

Griffiths, G. Milwyn. A Visitation of the Archdeaconry of Carmarthen, 1710 National Library of Wales journal. 1974, Summer Vol XVIII/3. Includes the parish of Llan Gadog

Rees, Thomas & John Thomas. Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches) volume 3 (published 1873), pages 562-565, FHL microfilm 1559405 item 3. Here are the ( Welsh) extracts from this book relating to Providence and Bethlehem chapels (now with translations) contributed by Darris G Williams
Also that for Gibea, Upper Brynaman - with translation

Thomas, Mair. Eglwys Gibea Brynaman 1842-1992, [Brynaman], Eglwys Annibynnol Gibea, Brynaman (1992) 88 p., ill., ports.

topup

Church Records

Dyfed FHS have photographs and data relating to various churches and chapels on their site

Parish registers: Christenings (1708-1878), Marriages (1708-1970), Banns (1823-50) and Burials (1708-1959) are at the Carmarthenshire Record Office.

Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1677-9, 1681-7, 1690, 1693-6, 1698, 1702, 1704, 1710-11, 1716-17, 1720-1, 1724-6, 1728-9, 1735-41, 1745-84, 1787-96, 1798-1800, 1802-7, 1809-60, 1862-7, 1871) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by the LDS.

Marriage index for this parish - see Dyfed Marriages, 1813-1837, Vol. 21 - Perfedd Hundred (Dyfed Family History Society, c1989)

See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg

Nonconformist Chapels: - for Brynaman chapels see the Cwmgors a'r Waun site

  • Bethel (Baptist, 1798), near Pontbrenaraeth SN65982365 Built pre-1800, rebuilt/modified 1842, 1874 & 1904 Still open 1998 Coflein
  • Sion (Baptist, c1806), Church St, Llangadog SN70652823 Demolished by 1997 Coflein
  • Seion Old Welsh Baptist chapel, Backway, Llangadog SN70552835 Built 1807. Rebuilt/modified 1829 & 1886. Still open 1998 Coflein
  • Goshen (Calvinistic Methodist, c1740), Station Rd, Llangadog SN704287 Built 1770, [re]built 1792, rebuilt again 1840 and 1907 Coflein Gosen Llangadog CM chapel - still open in 2006
  • Bethlehem (Independent, bef 1800), Dyffryn Ceidrych According to source book the chapel records are said to with those of Sardis (Mothvey) but no recorded extant records for latter unless still with that chapel SN68742494 Built 1800 & rebuilt 1834, rebuilt/modified 1872 & again 1910-11 Coflein Bethlehem Ind chapel (no parish) Shown as still open on the Union of Welsh Independents site (Dec 2006) See John Ball's site Welsh Churches and Chapels Collection for a photograph/data
    Rees, Thomas & John Thomas. Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches) volume 3 (published 1873), pages 562-565, FHL microfilm 1559405 item 3. Here are the ( Welsh) extracts from this book relating to Bethlehem chapel (now with translations) contributed by Darris G Williams
  • Capel Maen (Independent, bef 1852), Capel Gwynfe SN69552117 Built 1852 and enlarged 1864 Coflein Capel Maen Ind chapel, Gwynfe shown as still open on the Union of Welsh Independents site (Dec 2006)
    Rees, Thomas & John Thomas. Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches) 4 volumes (published 1871+). Here is the entry from this book for this chapel (in Welsh ) - with translation by Gareth Hicks (Dec 2008)
  • Jerusalem (Independent, bef 1700?), Gwynfe Births and baptisms (1822-37) PRO RG4/4016, LDS 828113, IGI. On Dyfed FHS Jerwsalem Ind chapel, Gwynfe shown as still open on the Union of Welsh Independents site (Dec 2006)
    Rees, Thomas & John Thomas. Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches) 4 volumes (published 1871+). Here is the entry from this book for this chapel (in Welsh ) - with translation by Gareth Hicks (Dec 2008)
  • Providence (Independent, c1820), Glandurgal SN70642807 Built 1840; rebuilt/enlarged 1883/4 Coflein Shown as still open on the Union of Welsh Independents site (Dec 2006) Rees, Thomas & John Thomas. Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches) volume 3 (published 1873), pages 562-565, FHL microfilm 1559405 item 3. Here are the ( Welsh) extracts from this book relating to Providence chapel (now with translations) contributed by Darris G Williams
  • Berea Independent Chapel, Cefn-bryn-brain, Quarter bach 1929-2001 A corrugated zinc-sheeted chapel, known as the "Iron Chapel", which was a branch of Cwmllynfell Independent Chapel; it closed in the 1980s. Gable entry type. Coflein . See John Ball's site Welsh Churches and Chapels Collection for a photograph/data
  • Ebenezer (Wesleyan Methodist, 1806), Llangadog village Records with those of Wesleyan Chapel (Llandeilo Fawr) SN7025 Built 1808, enlarged 1841, closed 1885 Coflein

Brynaman [formed out of Llangadog 1889]
Christenings (1881-1928) Marriages (1889-1980) Banns (1924-61) Burials (1882-1950) are at the Carmarthenshire Record Office.

Gwynfe [an ancient chapelry with CMB prior to 1812 entered in PR Llangadog]
Christenings and Burials (1862-) with incumbent . Marriages (1837-1970) at Carm.RO
BTs; see Llangadog

Jerusalem Chapel photograph and basic information from Dyfed FHS.

topup

Description and Travel

The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales., byJones, I.G. & Williams, D. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. These statistics for this parish are extracted from this book which in turn got them from the 1851 census itself;

  • Llangadock Parish including Above Sawdde hamlet, Dyffryn Cidrich hamlet and Gwynfe Quarter Bach; Area 15642 acres; Population 1365 males, 1455 females, total 2820

Places, villages, farms etc within Llangadock as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Anna Brueton)

  • Quarter Bach (21); Blaen-cwm-garw, Brynamman, Cefn-bryn-brain, Cwm-nant-gwyn, Llwyn-y-moch, Rhyd-wen, Ystrad Owen
  • Dyffryn Ceidrych (22); Banc Careg-foel-gam, Beili, Bethlehem, Blaen Cennen, Blaen Llynant, Brest Cwm Llwyd, Capel Maen, Capel-ty-dyst, Careg-cegyn,Carreg Sawdde Common, Cefn Bedw, Cenf-y-coed Common, Clogau Mawr, Clyn-y-clawdd, Coed Shon, Crug-las, Cwm-cau, Cwm-tawel, Dafada, Danrallt, Dyffryn Ceidrich, Felindre, Gareg-lwyd, Gelli Bevan, Glan Ceidrych, Glan-brwynant, Glan-Toddeb, Godre'r waen, Gwynfe Ho., Hirllwyn isaf, Hirllwyn Uchaf, Inn, Lan, Llwyn-du, Llwyn-wennol, Nant gwyn, Neuadd, Pant Meredith, Pen Arthur, Pen cae garw, Pen-Arthur-isaf, Pen-twyn, Pen-y-banc, Pen-y-bwlch, Pen-y-rhiw, Pen-y-waen, Pont Newydd, Pontbren Araeth, Rhiw-ddu, Tyn-y-waun, Waen Lwyd, Ynys moch
  • Above Sawdde (23); Bont fawr, Bryn-glas, Cae rhyn, Caeau-bychan-bach, Caeau-bychan-mawr, Cefn gorneth, Coed y Twlc, Coedcae Bedw, Gilfach, Glansevin, Mandinam. Cwm bran, Olchfa fawr, Pant maenog, Tir Mawr,Tyddyn, Ty'n lon

    Llangadock Castle - on Castle Wales

    Llangadog, Capel Gwynfe and Bethlehem - a community site.

    Aerial photograph of Llangadog town. Taken on 21 March 2007. - on the People's Collection Wales site

    Aerial photograph of Brynamman, 2001 - on People's Collection Wales site (use search box)

    Dyfed (Wales) Cultural Services Department. Llandeilo, Llanymddyfri a rhan uchaf Dyffryn Tywi: mewn hen luniau. Stroud: Alan Sutton ar y cyd Cyngor Sir Dyfed a Llyfrgell Genedlaethol Cymru, 1991. 159p: chiefly ill, ports. [ISBN 0862999758]

    Gittins, R & Spencer Davies, D. The Illustrated Heart of Wales Line. Llandysul, 1985, 143 pp. Its 110 mile route from Swansea to Shrewsbury takes it through the heartland of Wales inc. the towns and hamlets of Pantyfynnon, Ffairfach, Llandeilo, Llangadog, Llandovery, Cynghordy etc, and describes each halt and station in detail.

    You can see pictures of Llangadock which are provided by:

    topup

    Directories

    Pigot & Co. South Wales Directory for 1830. Here are Extracts relating to Llangadock parish

    Pigot & Co. South Wales Directory for 1844. Here are Extracts relating to Llangadock parish

    Kellys Directory South Wales 1895. Here are Extracts for Brynamman and Quarter Bach

    Kelly's Directory of South Wales, 1910. Here are Extracts relating to Brynamman, Cwmllynfell and Quarter Bach

    Kelly's Directory of South Wales 1923 Here are Extracts relating to Brynamman, Cwmllynfell and Quarter Bach

    topup

    Gazetteers

    The transcription of the section for Llangadock from The National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.

    Ask for a calculation of the distance from Llangadock to another place.

    Click here for a list of nearby places.

    topup

    Genealogy

    Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

    • Lewis, Lewis, ('Awenfab o Wynfe') [of Carnau-gwynion, Gwynfe, Llangadog] papers 1732-1982 "Literary, family and business papers, 1732-1982, of Lewis Lewis ('Awenfab o Wynfe', 1837-1906), poet, of Gwynfe, Carmarthenshire, his son, Dr Ivor Lewis, St Asaph, and other members of his family........"

    Carmarthenshire Families

    Davies, Colin Thomas. Disinherited: the Williams family of Blaenllynant and Maesiago. Dyfed Family History Journal 4 (1994), p. 376-8

    Davies, Vaughan. Aberglasney and the Dyer family [of Llangadog and/or Llangathen]. Journal of Dyfed FHS Vol 7/2 Aug 2000.

    Rawlins, José. David Jones, Pastor of Jerusalem, Gwynfe. Dyfed FHS Journal (Dec. 1997)

    Trollope, Glynden. Dr John Rees RN, 1808-1878. Dyfed FHS journal vol 8/8 April 2005. A Crimean War connection. "John Rees was raised at Capel Ty Dist near Llangadog - in 1854 he was the Surgeon on board the Flag-ship 'Britannia' in the Black Sea........"

    The CLATWORTHY Family of Glamorgan  - (link is external)on John Ball's site.  Photographs and details provided by Anna Brueton

    James family of Brynamman (Neuadd estate), records - Detailed on Archives Network Wales   

    "Records of the James family, 1734-1978, including deeds relating to properties in Llangiwg, Swansea, Llanwonno and Cilybebyll, Glamorgan, and Llandeilo Fawr, Llangadog, Bettws and Llanelli, Carmarthenshire, 1734-1962; leases, mineral leases, wayleaves, assignments and rent papers relating to the above parishes, 1808-1951; sale, lease and tenancy agreements, 1825-1948; wills, settlements and trust deeds, 1816-1972; records relating to a court case concerning the trustees of the estate of John Williams James, 1874-1922; miscellaneous legal papers, 1909-1977; surveys and valuations, 1911-1956; James Estate accounts, 1861-1973; Inland Revenue correspondence, 1877-1976; stocks and shares, 1887-1951; solicitor's bills, 1874-1942; correspondence, relating mainly to trusts and properties, 1844-1978; sales particulars, 1895-1963; records relating to various business interests, 1851-1967, including Amman Anthracite Collieries Ltd, 1930-1934, Amman Iron Company Ltd, 1859-1920, Birch Rock Colliery, 1867-1881, Cwmteg Anthracite Colliery Co. Ltd, 1899-1915, Amalgamated Anthracite Collieries Ltd, 1931-1936, Blaen Cae Gurwen Collieries, 1895, Cwmnantmoel Colliery, 1930, 1949, Henderson's Welsh Anthracite Collieries, 1936, Llwyncelyn, Penthugwint and Port Colieries, 1851-1860, National Coal Board, 1967, and Noyadd Colliery, 1901-1902; printed material, 1895-1957; maps and plans, 1811-1965"

    topup

    Historical Geography

    You can see the administrative areas in which Llangadock has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

    topup

    History

    Here are a selection of Llangadog related snippets contributed by Anna Brueton. The subjects covered are; Llangadog Vestry Books, The Gwynfe Missionaries, Two Llangadog murders, Manorial Rent Rolls.

    Edwards, Hywel Teifi [ed.] Cwm Aman [Amman Valley]. Gomer 1996. In Welsh. There is a list of chapter headings and photographs on Cwmgors and Gwaun-cae-gurwen

    Rees, Enoch. The History of Brynamman 1883 & 1896. (Trans. from the original Welsh by Ivor Griffiths, Gorseinon.) Here is an index for the English version, with contents listing, and an index for the Welsh version, both by Anna Brueton

    Lloyd, Sir John E., (Ed.). A History of Carmarthenshire (2 vols.), Cardiff, London Carmarthenshire Society (1935, 1939). Extracts from this book can be accessed on some parish pages, see here for this parish

    Walters, Huw [Dr]. Canu'r Pwll a'r Pulpud. Cyhoeddiadau Barddas, Swansea; 1987, 397 pp. A study of the Welsh culture of the anthracite coalfield before 1914 - particularly Brynaman, and the Aman Valley areas. There are chapters on folk-lore, growth of industry and population, nonconformity, the eisteddfod etc. It brought the author the Welsh Arts Council Prize for the best work of literary criticism in 1988, the Board of Celtic Studies Prize and the Sir Ellis Jones Ellis-Griffith Prize in 1989. Here is a translation of the Preface by Professor Caerwyn William, list of Contents and brief Introduction.

    Extracts from A History of Carmarthenshire Lloyd, Sir John E., (Ed.). 2 vols., Cardiff, London Carmarthenshire Society (1935, 1939)

    The Later Middle Ages; Iscennen---The Commote

    • "Near the castle of Carregcennen were the demesne lands of the maerdref of its former arglwydd.........the commote west and south of the demesne and forest lands was divided into maenors. Maenors Vouwen and Gryngar, bordering on Kidwelly commote, corresponded roughly to the ancient ecclesiastical parishes of Llanarthney and Llanddarog;  Maenors Llys and Methennich to Llanfihangel Aberbythych and Llandybie; and, 'between Amman River and the lordship of Gower, bounded by Cathau brook and Lle'r Castell' was Maenor Bettws or Stryveland."
    • "............the gwestfa paying areas were peopled by descendents of the Welsh freemen. They also paid dofraeth; this was regarded as an imposition ' against the liberty of the men of Iscennen'..............there was also the tribute of the equivalent of forty cows paid triennially..............and the freemen 'beyond Amman' (that is of Maenor Bettws) paid a separate 'rent of assize'............."

    Wild Wales, Its People, Language and Scenery by George Borrow 1862  Some Brynamman related snippets from the book.    Now included here

    Various items  - on the People's Collection Wales site

    • View of Mountain Road, Brynaman, c 1930, showing Dyffryn Stores and Bristol House.
    • View of lower Station Road Brynaman
    • Tollgate Pharmacy [Brynamman]
    • Postcard of Brynaman Public Hall in 1909. The Public Hall is still in operation today.
    • Railway scenes, various [Brynamman]
    topup

    Land and Property

    Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

    • Elias collection of Carmarthenshire estate papers 1740-1912 "I. D. E. Elias was a firm of Llandeilo, Carmarthenshire, solicitors, active in the 1970s. The firm accumulated deeds and papers relating to several estates in the area, including the Carreg Cennen, Pant Meredith, Crug n Cwn (Keven Hirath) and Cefnucheldre estates. The Carreg Cennen estate, in the parishes of Llandeilo Fawr and Llangadog, Carmarthenshire, was leased by the Lawford family in the 18th-19th centuries and the Powell family in the 20th century. The Howell family held Pant Meredith, Llangadog, Carmarthenshire, from 1758. ..............."
    • Llwynyronnen Estate 1753-1961 "The Llwynyronnen estate, formerly known as Tyr yr Inn, was situated in the parishes of Bettws and Llangadog, Carmarthenshire. During the early 19th century the estate was owned by the Lewis family of Tynywain..........."
    • Taliaris Muniments ".................. and papers relating to the Danyrallt estate, Llangadog, Carmarthenshire, [c. 1833]-[c. 1904]."
    • Glansevin estate, records 1543, 1578-1919 "The Lloyd family of Glansevin in the parish of Llangadog, Carmarthenshire, claimed descent from Ideo Gwyllt, earl of Desmond.............."

    Documents at the National Library of Wales:

    • Deeds relating to the Lloyd family of Dan-yr-allt, Llangadog, Carmarthenshire, 1537-1674. Other records at Carmarthen Archives.
    • Estate records, C16-C20, of the family of Lloyd of Glansevin and Mandinam, Llangadog.
    • Records from the office of D.T.M. Jones, Llandovery, solicitor. Include office correspondence from 1775 and records relating to the estates of Abermarlais, Briwnant, Cynghordy, Glansevin, Glanyrannell, Llwyncelyn and Ton, Carmarthenshire.
    topup
    topup

    Military History

    Aneurin Jones, Brynamman, on the DAYBREAK. At home, spending a well-deserved respite, is the naval hero, A.B. Aneurin Jones, son of Mr. and Mrs. W. Jones, Cwmgarw Road. He was on H.M.S. King Edward VII. when it was torpedoed, and is now on leave consequent upon the H.M.S. Daybreak having been sunk in a similar manner.  - on the People's Collection Wales site

    topup
    topup

    Occupations

    Aerial photograph of Brynamman Opencast Workings from the north-east. Taken on 22 June 2005. - on the People's Collection Wales site

    The Farmers Arms, Brynamman. A feature on the Jones family who ran it in the C19th. Now included here

    Various Brynamman items  - on the People's Collection Wales site

    • A bill from the Farmer's Arms Hotel, Amman Road, Brynaman (now Brynaman Rugby Club). This public house was in existence in 1854 when George Borrow, the famous author, visited Y Gwter Fawr (the previous name for Brynaman) on his travels around Wales. The Bill itemises the sale of gallons of beer.
    • Old sweet shop [Brynamman]
    • 58, Cwmgarw Road, Brynaman. (formerly) Harold Rees Ironmonger [house]
    • R M & J Evans Ironmongers. bill 1910
    • Bill dated 1903 from E. M. Morris, the Chemist, Station Road, Brynaman.
    • 52, Cwmgarw Road, Brynaman, a private house. It once housed the Gwyn Arms public house and was mentioned as the venue for a property auction in 1888. The building was last used as a public house in 1960.
    • 76, Cwmgarw Road, Brynaman and is now a private house. During the 1960s and 1970s it was a small corner shop run by Mrs Elizabeth Rees (Siop Elizabeth).
    • T. Bradford Davies's shop (wholesale warehouse) based in the Alpha Buildings. This was the same business as Siop Caersalem on Bradford House on Brynaman Road.
    • Farming Brynaman area
    • Haymaking Brynaman area
    • Leicester House/Shoe Shop [Brynamman]
    • London House/India China Tea [Brynamman]
    • Gathering bracken[Brynamman - Mynydd Ddu?]
    • Gof/Blacksmith. This old smithy is located next door to 50, Mountain Road, Brynaman
    • Shop formerly situated at 192, Cwmgarw Road, Brynaman and was known as Siop y Glwyd. It was a Radio and Motor Accessories Shop
    • 12, Station Road, Brynaman, now a dwelling house. These premises were used by the Richards brothers who were watchmakers according to the 1923 Kelly's Directory. It later became D E Rees the jewellers during the 1930s to the 1960s.
    • 14, Station Road, Brynaman, during the 1930s was a grocers shop run by Mr Alfred Francis. This later became a bakery for Francis the Baker's. The building also housed Midland Bank Ltd from the 1930s to the 1970s.
    • 51, Station Road, Brynaman and has housed John Llewellyn's Chemist shop since the 1980s. It was the site of E M Morris the Chemist and there has been a pharmacy here since 1895, as mentioned in Kelly's Trade Directory.
    • Siop Gornel, Mountain Road, Brynaman. has always been an Ironmonger's Shop.
    • Amman Iron Works [Brynamman]
    • 14, Mountain Road, Brynaman. This house was formerly Danny Hughes, Butcher's Shop during the 1950s ' 1980s
    • 47, Station Road, Brynaman, now a private residence and dentist. From 1910 /1960s housed a ladies and gents outfitters, run by W Herbert & Son. In 1970s/2005 it was a supermarket under various owners.
    • 17, Park Street, Brynaman. This photograph, pre 1930. During the 1930s this shop owned by the Cresci family, later taken over by Mr David Evans and family and was run as a general grocer and sweet shop.
    • 34, Station Road, Brynaman, and has been Rebecca's hairdressers since the 1990s. During the 1960s and 70s it was a fish and chip shop.
    • Receipt from 1907 is from J.R.Jones, General Merchant located at London House, 1, Mountain Road, Brynaman.
    • Alpha Cinema, Station Road, Brynaman, with Dr Grace's surgery on the right, latter demolished in 1940 when  road widened. The Alpha Building was demolished in 1965. This photograph taken around 1920.
    • Part of Leicester House at 1 Station Road, Brynaman. In 1905 it was a Painter and Decorator's Shop, later a wool shop in the 1930s. In the 1950s it was Goss's Wallpaper and Paint Shop until the 1970s.
    • 6, Cwmgarw Road, Brynaman, always been known as Siop Penycae., was originally owned by Tommy Morgan who was an early photographer in Brynaman. The shop sold a variety of goods, toys and sweets.
    • Meifod House, Station Road, Brynaman. Pre 1950 Gerwyn Jones, electrical supplies, later became apartments and in the late 1970s a residential home, demolished in the late 1990s following a fire.
    • 77, Cwmgarw Road, Brynaman and is now a private house. It was originally Morgan and Evans, General Grocer.
    • Bridgend Inn public house at 3, Station Road, Brynaman. This public house was in business as far back as 1859
    • 11, Cwmgarw Road, Brynaman as it is today. During 1885 the shop was called Cloth Hall and was run by John Davies Tailor, Hatter and Draper.
    • Gwyn Arms,52, Cwmgarw Road, Brynaman.
    • 55, Station Road, Brynaman and was built to house Bradford House's warehouse and electricity showroom and offices in the 1950s. During the 1970s it housed Motor Supplies and Dr Rahman's surgery. More recently been a taxi office, gymnasium, tool hire company and is now an Indian Takeaway.
    • Receipt dated September 10th 1910, Based at Cloth Hall, 11 Cwmgarw Road, Brynaman. In the 1895 Kelly's Trade Directory it was a Tailor & Outfitter. The premises contained a large hat shop upstairs.
    • Post Office, Brynaman, These premises have housed the Post Office since 1910
    • Leicester House.  [Brynamman]This was owned by the Rogers Family and housed a shoe shop and decorators shop. The premises were in business from 1900 to 1990s.
    • Mountain Rd, Brynamman.,site of Charlie Hammond's shoe shop in the 1950s/60s.
    • Siop y Bont [Brynamman]
    • Crib and Siswrn hairdressers. The shop was originally owned by Mr Gwyn Maddocks, who ran an outfitters from 1923 to the late 1960s.
    • 36, Cwmgarw Road which is now a private house. The building was originally a butcher's shop run by the Williams family since the 1920s.
    • Tregib Arms. This has been a public house since 1888-it was mentioned in a sales document for an auction to be held there.
    • D W Davies, 35, Station Road, Brynaman,  Receipt. An ironmongers and cycle agent business, original proprietor being David Walter Davies,  who ran the business up until the 1990s. The business became known as Siop Laria, and also had a small petrol station. It is still called Siop Laria to this day and is now a general merchant and delicatessen.
    • 61, Station Road, Brynaman, now the Golden River Chinese Takeaway. In the 1940s/50s it was the co-operative society, with several departments ' butchery, grocery, menswear, homeware, ladies wear and toys.

     

      topup

      Public Records

      Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

      • Llangadog Parish Council and Community Council Records 1894-1986
      topup

      Schools

      Stone laid to commemorate the opening of the extension to the Board School, Cwmgarw Road,Brynaman , 1903. The stone is now sited in the car park opposite the Black Mountain Centre, Brynaman.  - on the People's Collection Wales site

      topup

      Social life and Customs

      Hen Gymeriadau. (Old Characters) It's in Welsh, apart from 2 of the 18 pages, and the characters mentioned mostly live in the Brynamman area. Now included here

      Various items - on the People's Collection Wales site

      • Early contributions card from 1910 for the Boot and Shoe Club at Josiah Rogers, Leicester House, 1, Station Road, Brynaman.  
      • Site of Brynaman Rugby Football Club. It was called the Farmer's Arms Hotel and was mentioned in the 1885 / 1930 Kelly's Trade Directory.
      • An early twentieth century wedding in Brynaman. various
      • Brynaman Rugby. Memories of Yesteryear
      • Gibea Chapel Brynamman Band of Hope 1920
      • Cor Cymysg Brynaman / Brynamman Mixed Choir 1930's
      • Nativity Play, Ebeneser Chapel Brynamman 1960