The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"UPPER LLANGELER, (and Lower Llangeler) a parish in the hundred of Elvet, county Carmarthen, 4 miles E. of Newcastle-in-Emlyn, its post town. It is situated on the river Teifi, near the head of the valley under the Penboyr hills. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of St. David's, value £136, in the patronage of the bishop. There is also a sinecure rectory, value £244, in the gift of St. David's College. The church is dedicated to St. Celert, and near it is a spring called after the name of the saint. Llys-Newydd and Dolhaidd-fach are the principal residences.
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2018