Hide

LLANGENDEIRNE

hide
Hide

1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland

In 1868, the parish of Llangendeirne contained the following places:

"LLANGENDEIRNE, a parish in the hundred of Kidwelly, county Carmarthen, 5 miles S.E. of Carmarthen, its post town, and 6 N.E. of Kidwelly. The parish includes 7 hamlets, of which Cilcarw and Glynn are the principal. Coal, iron ore, and limestone abound, and marble of good quality is also found. The village is very considerable. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of St. David's, value with the curacy of Pontyates annexed, £88. The church is dedicated to St. Cyndeyrn. There are a Calvinistic Methodist chapel, and an endowed school called Goldfrap's. The charities produce £22 per annum, chiefly the endowment of the school. A fair is held on the 5th August for horses, cattle, and pedlery."

"BLEINE, a hamlet united with Llan, in the parish of Llangendeirne, and hundred of Kidwelly, in the county of Carmarthen, South Wales, 5 miles to the N.E. of Kidwelly."

"CILCARW, a hamlet in the parish of Llangendeirne, in the county of Carmarthen, 4 miles S.E. of Carmarthen. It contains Pont-y-Ferem."

"GLYNN, a hamlet in the parish of Llangendeirne, county Carmarthen, 4 miles S.E. of Carmarthen. The river Gwendraeth Vach flows through the hamlet."

"GWEMPE, a hamlet in the parish of Llangendeirne, county Carmarthen, 5 miles S.E. of Carmarthen. It is situated on the river Gwendraethvechan."

"LLAN, a hamlet in the parish of Llangendeirne, county Carmarthen, 4 miles S.E. of Carmarthen. The stream called Little Gwendraeth flows through the hamlet. In the neighbourhood are traces of an ancient camp."

"MINKE, a village in the parish of Llangendeirne, county Carmarthen, 4 miles S.E. of Carmarthen. It is situated on the river Gwendraeth Vach."

"PONT-Y-FEREM, a hamlet in the village of Cilcarw and parish of Llangendeirne, county Carmarthen, 5 miles S.E. of Carmarthen."

"TERRACOED, a hamlet in the parish of Llangendeirne, county Carmarthen, 4 miles S.E. of Carmarthen."

"VELYNDRE, a hamlet in the parish of Llangendeirne, county Carmarthen, 4 miles S.E. of Carmarthen."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2018