"LLANGUNNOR (LLAN-GYNNOR), a parish, comprising the Upper and Lower divisions in the hundred of KIDWELLY, union and county of CARMARTHEN, SOUTH WALES, 1 mile (E.) from Carmarthen; containing 1228 inhabitants. This parish is beautifully situated on the river Towy, by which it is separated from the borough of Carmarthen; and is traversed by the great turnpike-road from that town, through Golden Grove, to Llandilo-Vawr; by the mail-road to Swansea; and by another turnpike-road to the same place, passing through Kidwelly and Llanelly . . . and comprises, according to computation, 5770 acres, of which 1400 are arable, 4200 pasture, and 170 woodland . . . The lands, with the exception of a small portion, are inclosed and cultivated; and the soil, though varied, is generally fertile, producing wheat, barley, oats, clover, and hay. . . The church, dedicated to St. Cynyr, is a neat edifice, appropriately fitted up for the performance of divine service, and, though possessing no architectural details of importance, derives from its beautiful situation an interesting and romantic appearance. . . There is a place of worship for Welsh Calvinistic Methodists, who also have Sunday school . . . another school, belonging to the Established Church, and containing about sixty adults and children, is maintained by the vicar; and there is a day school, in which twenty children are instructed at the expense of their parents. . . " [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1844).]


Church History

Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants

  • Llangunnor Parish Church Situated on Llangunnor Hill at the extremity of the Parish abutting on the Towy River to the North James Griffiths, Vicar & Officiating Minister
  • Babell Welsh CM Erected in 1834 "The Building is too small for the present congregation and school" James Lloyd, Superintendant
  • Philladelphia Ind Erected in 1809 Evan Evans, Minister, Plasymynydd

Parish entry from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by (Archive CD Books).

  • St Ceinwr
  • Incumbent and Curates; J Jenkins
  • Rural Deanery of Carmarthen
  • Acreage 5,820; Population 830

    Treharne, Cyril L. The history of Llangunnor Church Llangunnor: Cyril L. Treharne, 1989. 170p: ill, facsims, ports; 21cm. [ISBN 1871600022 (pbk)]

    Interior view of Llangunnor Church, produced by Iain Wright, June 2004. - on the People's Collection Wales site


    Church Records

    Dyfed FHS have photographs and data relating to various churches and chapels on their site

    Parish registers: Christenings (1678-1975), Marriages (1678-1938, 1956-75), Banns (1854-1949) and Burials (1678-1926) are at the Carmarthenshire Record Office.

    Facsimile Parish registers: Christenings and Burials (1727-1817), and Marriages (1727-54) are at the National Library of Wales.

    Copy ts PR index CB (1813-75) M (1678-1875) at NLW and Carm.RO

    Typescript copy of Parish registers: Christenings and Burials (1678-1726, and extracts to 1784) and Marriages (1675-1754) are at the Society of Genealogists.

    Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1675, 1677-8, 1681-4, 1686, 1693-9, 1702-4, 1708, 1712, 1717-22, 1724-36, 1738-41, 1744-1800, 1802-11, 1813-20, 1822-64, 1866-7) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints

    An Index to Christenings (1813-1875), Marriages (1678-1875) and Burials (1813-1875) is available on microfiche from Dyfed FHS..

    Marriage index for this parish - see Dyfed Marriages, 1813-1837, Vol. 16 - Kidwelly Hundred (Dyfed Family History Society, c1989).

    See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg

    Nonconformist Chapels:

    • Babell (Calvinistic Methodist, bef 1834), Pensarn Records with those of Water Street (Carmarthen) On Dyfed FHS Babell, Rhiw Babell, Pensarn CM chapel is still open in 2006
    • Philadelphia (Independent, c1785), Nantycaws Baptisms (1819-65) NLW Ms 1212E, LDS 104504, IGI; deed copy Carmarthenshire R.O. 4740 SN45571822 Built 1809, rebuilt 1841/2 and restored 1931 Coflein Shown as still open on the Union of Welsh Independents site (Dec 2006)
      Rees, Thomas & John Thomas. Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). Here is the entry from this book for this chapel (in Welsh ) - with translation by Gareth Hicks (Dec 2008)
    • PARAN INDEPENDENT SUNDAY SCHOOL, YSGOLDY PARAN, BWLCHYMYNYDD;YSGOLDY PARAN - was built in 1885, in the Vernacular style with a long-wall entry plan . By 1998 the building had been converted into a store.   coflein

    Description & Travel

    The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales., byJones, I.G. & Williams, D. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. These statistics for this parish are extracted from this book which in turn got them from the 1851 census itself;

    • Area 5795 acres; Population 578 males, 579 females, total 1157
      You can see pictures of Llangunnor which are provided by:



      The transcription of the section for Llangunnor from The National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.


      Historical Geography

      You can see the administrative areas in which Llangunnor has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.



      Jones, F. Llangunnor: Llangynnwr (Rev. ed.), [Dyfed], Dyfed Cultural Services Department (1986) 34 p., ill., 1 map.

      Lloyd, Sir John E., (Ed.). A History of Carmarthenshire (2 vols.), Cardiff, London Carmarthenshire Society (1935, 1939). Extracts from this book can be accessed on some parish pages, see here for this parish.


      Land & Property

      Chief Rents 1664-1676 ; "The Names and Surnames of the Freeholders that pay Chief Rent yearly within Llangunnorand Molvrey within Maynor Gunnor in the commott of Kidwellie" - on the Kidwelly History site



      Map of the parish of Llangunnor in the County of Carmarthen - on the People's Collection Wales site

      Parish map(Kain/Oliver)

      You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SN444187 (Lat/Lon: 51.844894, -4.260078), Llangunnor which are provided by:


      Names, Geographical

      Places, villages, farms etc within Llangunnor as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Gareth Hicks)

      • Llangunnor (74); Beaulieu-fawr; Blaenisfail; Bolahaul; Brigwellt-y-coed; Bwlch-y-mynydd; Cil-waunydd; Coed-gain; Cwm-gigfran; Erw-wen; Ffos-y-ffin; Gelli-uchaf; Llangunnor (village); Llwyn-melyn; Mill; Nant; Nant Pibwr; Nant-y-caws; Pen-sarn; Penty; Pen-y-ddaulwyn; Pen-y-lan; Pibwr-lwyd; Rifle Range; Roman Road; Ty-gwyn; Ty-hir; Ty-llwyd-mawr; Ty'r-heol; Wenallt


      Milk demonstration at Tyllwyd, Llangunnor - on the People's Collection Wales site


      Public Records

      Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

      • Llangynnwr Parish Council and Community Council Records 1830-1989 (accumulated 1894-1989)

      Held at Carmarthen Archives;

      • Llangynnwr parish council records C19- C20.