The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"LLANGUNNOR, (or Llangynyr), a parish in the hundred of Kidwelly, county Carmarthen, 1 mile E. of Carmarthen, its post town. It is situated on the banks of the river Towey, and includes five hamlets, Credgain being the principal. The village, which is small, is built on the left bank of the river, nearly opposite the Training School for South Wales, a building erected by the Welsh Educational Committee in 1847, at a cost of £8,000. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of St. David's, value £221, in the patronage of the bishop. The church, dedicated to St. Cynyr, is a primitive little building, with a monument to Sir R. Steele, who was buried here in the vault of the Scurlock family. The churchyard commands a view of the Towey, and is shaded by some grand old yew-trees. The charities amount to about £5 per annum. There is a racecourse in the vicinity. At a farmhouse, called Ty-gwyn, Steele is said to have written his "Constant Lover."
"COEDGAIN, a hamlet in the parish of Llangunnor, in the county of Carmarthen, 4 miles from Carmarthen."
"LLANDRE, a hamlet in the parish of Llangunnor, county Carmarthen, in the vicinity of the town of Carmarthen."
"NANTYCAIN, a village in the parish of Llangunnor, county Carmarthen, 2 miles E. of Carmarthen. It is situated near the river Towey."
"PENCWM, (and Penddailwyn) hamlets in the parish of Llangunnor, county Carmarthen. 1½ mile E. of Carmarthen. It is situated near the river Towy.
"VELYNDRE, a hamlet in the parish of Llangunnor, county Carmarthen, 1 mile S.E. of Carmarthen."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2018