The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"LLANSTEPHAN, a parish in the hundred of Derllys, county Carmarthen, 7 miles S.W. of Carmarthen, its post town. It is situated on the coast of Carmarthen Bay, and at the mouth of the river Towey. Across the river is a much-frequented ferry where is a railway station on the South Wales line. The parish includes the hamlets of Laques and Llan-y-bree, as well as the little village of Llanstephan, embosomed in trees, near the water's edge. From the pleasantness of its situation and the salubrity of the air it attracts many visitors during the summer months for sea-bathing. A castle was built here in 1138 by the sons of a Merionethshire prince, which soon afterwards fell into the hands of the Flemings and Normans, from whom it was retaken by Rhys-ap-Gruffydd, prince of South Wales, and about the middle of the following century was destroyed. It appears to have been a place of great strength, from the thickness of its walls, which are still standing, though they are a mere shell. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of St. David's, value with that of Llangunnock, £101. There is also the district church of Llanybri, a perpetual curacy* The parish church is dedicated to St. Stephan. The Baptists, Wesleyans, and Calvinistic Methodists have each a chapel; and there is a National school. St. Anthony's well is in this parish, to which at one time miraculous virtues were attributed. Llanstephan Cottage and Place are the principal residences. A fair is held on the 8th June."
"LAQUES, a village in the parish of Llanstephan, county Carmarthen, 2 miles E. of Laugharne. It is situated at the mouth of the rivers Taf and Towey."
"LLANYBREE, a village in the parish of Llanstephan, county Carmarthen, 3 miles E. of Laugharne. Here is a church; the living is a perpetual curacy's in the diocese of St. David's."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2018