"MARROS, a parish, in the union of NARBERTH, lower division of the hundred of DERLLYS, county of CARMARTHEN, SOUTH WALES, 7 miles (W. by S.) from Laugharne; containing 180 inhabitants. This parish is situated at the south-western extremity of the county, bordering on the county of Pembroke, and bounded on the south by the shore of Carmarthen bay; the surface is wild and broken, and considerable portions of the land are barren and uncultivated. Marros mountain comprises a large tract of stony sterile ground, and the whole district presents a rugged and dreary aspect. Iron-stone and coal are thought to abound here, but no works have yet been established for procuring these minerals . . . The coast is composed of a fine sandy beach, a few miles in length, and well-adapted for sea-bathing from the shallowness of the water for a considerable distance from the shore. There are several neat and respectable esidences scattered over the lower part of the parish. . . The church, dedicated to St. Laurence, is not distinguished by any architectiural details. . . " [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1844).]
Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants
Parish entry for Llandawke with Pendine and Marros from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by (Archive CD Books).
Griffiths, G. Milwyn. A Visitation of the Archdeaconry of Carmarthen, 1710 National Library of Wales journal. 1974, Summer Vol XVIII/3. Includes the parish of Marros, Another Chapell of Ease to Lacharn
Price, D. M. A guide to three ancient churches near Pendine: St. Margaret's Pendine, Eglwys Cynin, St. Lawrence's, Marros. D. M. Price, [1985?] 32p: ill; 21cm.
Dyfed FHS have photographs and data relating to various churches and chapels on their site
Parish registers: Christenings and Burials (1738-1984), and Marriages (1738-1962) are at the Carmarthenshire Record Office.
Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1813-80) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by the LDS.
Marriage index for this parish - see Dyfed Marriages, 1813-1837, Vol. 14 - Derllys Hundred (Dyfed Family History Society, c1989)
See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg
No non-conformist chapels found in this parish
The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales., byJones, I.G. & Williams, D. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. These statistics for this parish are extracted from this book which in turn got them from the 1851 census itself;
The transcription of the section for Marros from The National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Marros to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Marros has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Lloyd, Sir John E., (Ed.). A History of Carmarthenshire (2 vols.), Cardiff, London Carmarthenshire Society (1935, 1939). Extracts from this book can be accessed on some parish pages, see below for this parish.
- Nonconformity and Methodism/ Moravians and Sandemanians; "...Francis Pugh ...constituted a formal Moravian 'Society' in 1769...... with 'seven or eight members'....the membership was never great throughout its 100 years history..... .some lived at .... Marros ....."
- Nonconformity and Methodism/The Gouge Movement ; There is a statement that in 1675 there were in Carmarthenshire a total number of pupils of 266 getting some schooling, not just via the Welsh Trust of Gouge and his friends though, a breakdown shows the number in Marros as 20.........the names of the clergy who sent up certificates in 1674/5 are not lost......the Carmarthenshire list is colourless and unconvincing.....three of them were pluralists......one, Michael Owen of Laugharne and Marros, became a non-juror..................."
- Prehistoric and Roman Times/ Distribution of Forts in the Early Iron Age; "Fortification is concentrated mainly on the spurs overlooking the upper Taf, the Cywyn, the Cynin, and Dewi Fach, and again on the ridge of upland country overlooking the coast between Llanstephan, Laufharne and Marros ......"
- Prehistoric and Roman Times/ Carmarthenshire in the Early Iron Age/Typical Forts of the Early Iron Age.Class II B Forts; (On page 82 in the book is a diagram of Pwll Mountain Circle, Marros). "On the south coast of the country west of the Taf estuary there are the remains of four walled enclosures, circular in plan. Three occur on Pwll Mountain, and the fourth on Gilman Point, Pendine. The largest of the circles on Pwll Mountain is built of dry stone walling ....diameter about 100 feet....excavations produced fragments of an urn (diagram of this urn on page 83) ...this suggests a local imitation of La Tene pottery........a third of a mile south-west of the above circle are two smaller circles...."
- Prehistoric and Roman Times/ Carmarthenshire in the Early Iron Age/Typical Forts of the Early Iron Age.Class I A Forts; (diagram of Top Castle, Marros on page 77 in book) . "Structures with additional fortifications, usually in the form of a second rampart, occur most frequently near the coast. Top Castle, Marros is an interesting example.....". A separate list of Carmarthenshire Hill Forts includes; The Castle, Marros.
- Prehistoric and Roman Times/ List of Carmarthenshire Megaliths; Dolmens, list includes;- Morfa Bychan (1,2,3), Marros.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SN200085 (Lat/Lon: 51.746321, -4.608336), Marros which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- OpenStreetMap Cymru (Welsh counties only)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Places, villages, farms etc within Marros as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Lynne Kleingertner)