The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"MOTHVEY, (or Myddvai, or Myddfai), a parish in the hundred of Perfedd, county Carmarthen, 3 miles S. of Llandovery, its post town. It is situated on the river Sevin, between the rivers Fowey and Usk. It includes the hamlets of Upper and Lower Mothvey. The surface is hilly. There is a lead mine. The principal mansions are Cilgwyn and Llwynywormwood. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of St. David's; value £103, in the patronage of the bishop. The church is an ancient structure dedicated to St. Michael. The interior has a tomb to Bishop Owen. In the churchyard are a sycamore 64 feet in diameter, and a yew 26 feet.
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2018