Hide

NEWCHURCH

hide
Hide
Hide

The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868

In 1868, the parish of Newchurch contained the following places:

"NEWCHURCH, (or Llann-newydd), a parish in the hundred of Elvet, county Carmarthen, 3 miles N.W. of Carmarthen, its post town, and 13 from Newcastle. In the neighbourhood are traces of a Roman encampment, and of an ancient road. The parish, which is of large extent, includes several small hamlets The land is fertile and well cultivated. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of St. David's, value £96. The church is a small structure. The parochial charities produce about £1 per annum. There is a village school. The ancient Roman inscribed stone found here has been removed to Traws-Mawr.

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2018