"PENCARREG (PEN-CAREG), a parish, in the union of LAMPETER, higher division of the hundred of CATHINOG, county of CARMARTHEN, SOUTH WALES, 4 miles (S.W.) from Lampeter; containing 1187 inhabitants. It forms a pleasing and well-wooded tract on the Teivy, and is intersected by the road from Lampeter to Carmarthen; a lofty mountain, called Pencarreg, extends across it on the south. The village is situated on the left bank of the river; a fair is held in it on October 11th. . . The church, dedicated to St. Patrick, is a small structure of no architectural pretensions. There are places of worship for Presbyterians and Baptists. In the winter and spring there are generally two day schools, containing about 60 children; and in the summer and autumn the parishioners assemble on Sundays to give instruction in reading &c., to such as require it. . . " [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1844).]
Monumental inscriptions for Bethel Parcyrhos Chapel and Esgairdawe Independent Chapel, are available on microfiche from Dyfed FHS.
|Esgairdawe Welsh Independent Chapel, Esgairdawe, Pencarreg|
|Bethel Welsh Independent Chapel, Parc-Y-Rhos, Cwmann, Pencarreg|
|Esgairdawe Welsh Independent Chapel, Esgairdawe, Pencarreg|
Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants
Parish entry from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by (Archive CD Books).
Church, Pencarreg - on the People's Collection Wales site
Davies, T. Eirug. Hanes Bethel, Parcyrhos at gyrddau dathlu ei chanmlwyddiant, Mai 28ain a 29ain, 1940, (Llanbedr-Pont-Steffan, 1940), 48p.
Griffiths, G. Milwyn. A Visitation of the Archdeaconry of Carmarthen, 1710 National Library of Wales journal. 1974, Summer Vol XVIII/3. Includes the parish of Pencarreg
Gruffydd, W.J. Caersalem y Bedyddwyr: Parc y Rhos: 1840-1990, Parc y Rhos, Eglwys y Bedyddwyr Caersalem (1990) 32 p., ill., facsims., ports.
Rees, Thomas & John Thomas. Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru. (History of the Welsh Independent Churches) volume 3, page 559, published 1873, FHL microfilm 1559405 item 3.
Here is the ( Welsh) extract from this book relating to Esgairdawe contributed by Darris G Williams (with translation by Eric Davies)
Williams, M.E. Hanes Eglwys Annibynnol Esgairdawe, Mary Eunice Williams (1992) 293 p. : p., ill., map. Here is an index by Gareth Hicks , also two lists of chapel members and some baptism, marriage and burial records for the chapel. In 5/2022 a full transcription of the book was added, contributed by Gareth Davies
Dyfed FHS have photographs and data relating to various churches and chapels on their site
Parish registers: Christenings (1789-1934) , Marriages (1754-1968), Burials (1789-1992) are at the National Library of Wales and copy Mf Marriages (1754-1968) are at the Carmarthenshire Record Office
Copy ts PR index C (1813-1934) M (1754-1971) B (1813-1992) at NLW
Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1675-1901, but with many gaps) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
Marriage index for this parish - see Dyfed Marriages, 1813-1837, Vol. 17 - Cathinog Hundred (Dyfed Family History Society, c1989)
See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg
Held at Carmarthen Archives;
- Reconstituted families from the baptism registers of both Esgairdawe and Ffaldybrenin Independent chapels, and also Llanycrwys church, 1995. Also Memorial Inscriptions for the two chapels mentioned.
The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales., byJones, I.G. & Williams, D. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. These statistics for this parish are extracted from this book which in turn got them from the 1851 census itself;
The transcription of the section for Pencarreg from The National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Pencarreg to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Pencarreg has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Ein plwyf [Our parish]: hanes Plwyf Pencarreg [history of Pencarreg Parish], [Glanrhyd, Cwmann, Lampeter, Dyfed], [Cwmann Young Farmers' Club] (1976) 84 p.,  p. of plates: p., ill.
Lloyd, Sir John E., (Ed.). A History of Carmarthenshire (2 vols.), Cardiff, London Carmarthenshire Society (1935, 1939). Extracts from this book can be accessed on some parish pages, see here for this parish
Williams, D. J. The Old Farmhouse/Hen Dy Ffarm. trans. from Welsh by Waldo Williams. 1961 (Harrap). 238pp. well-known account of farming life in the Carmarthenshire parishes of Llansawel, Caio, Pencarreg and Llanybydder at turn of 19th and 20th centuries. Also a parallel-text Welsh/English version published by Gomer, Llandysul, 2001/2, (1 84323 032 1). "Since it was first published in 1953 Hen Dy Ffarm has become a classic of Welsh literature......."
Dolgwm Uchaf, Pencarreg Field Names - on the People's Collection Wales site
Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;
- Vincent Evans Collection (Solicitor in Lampeter) "Deeds and documents, 1734-1895, mainly relating to lands in the parish of Pencarreg, Carmarthenshire............."
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SN569436 (Lat/Lon: 52.072629, -4.089961), Pencarreg which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- OpenStreetMap Cymru (Welsh counties only)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Places, villages, farms etc within Pencarreg as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Gareth Hicks)