"PENDINE (a contraction of PEN-TYWYN), a parish, in the union of NARBERTH, higher division of the hundred of DERLLYS, county of CARMARTHEN, SOUTH WALES, 5 1/2 miles (W. by S.) from Laugharne; containing 204 inhabitants This parish is beautifully situated on the shores of Carmarthen bay, by which it is bounded on the south, and over which it commands a fine prospect; and comprises apout 1000 acres, the whole, with the exception of a common of 100 acres, affording good pasturage, inclosed, and in a state of cultivation. . . The soil is of a clayey and sandy quality, producing wheat and barley; the surface is rocky and hilly. On the beach, which is well-adapted for the purpose of sea-bathing, and affords a pleasing walk, is a natural cavern, from which issues a small rivulet running into the bay. . . The living is a rectory not in charge, annexed to that of Llandawke . . . The church, which is pleasantly situated, is a plain structure, erected about thirty years since . . ." [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1844).]
Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants
Parish entry for Llandawke with Pendine and Marros from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by (Archive CD Books).
Griffiths, G. Milwyn. A Visitation of the Archdeaconry of Carmarthen, 1710 National Library of Wales journal. 1974, Summer Vol XVIII/3. Includes the parish of Pendein, a Chapel to Llan Dawc
Price, D. M. A guide to three ancient churches near Pendine: St. Margaret's Pendine, Eglwys Cynin, St. Lawrence's Marros. D. M. Price, [1985?] 32p: ill; 21cm.
Dyfed FHS have photographs and data relating to various churches and chapels on their site
PR prior to 1813 were said in 1831 to have been destroyed by fire
Parish registers: Christenings (1783-1803, 1813-1977), Marriages (1794-1978), Burials (1783-1977) are at Carm.RO
Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1716, 1718, 1721-2, 1724-5, 1727, 1743-74, 1776-1800, 1802-83) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
Marriage index for this parish - see Dyfed Marriages, 1813-1837, Vol. 14 - Derllys Hundred (Dyfed Family History Society, c1989)
See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg
- Chapel (Calvinistic Methodist, 1815?) - same place as below ?
- Chapel (Moravian, 1763), Laugharne parish until 1810 then new chapel in Pendine parish (at Tremoilet) The Methodists had apparently assumed possession of this chapel by 1850 Records with those of Moravian Chapel (Haverfordwest)
Peter Williams's Memorial English Presbyterian/Moravian chapel, Pendine SN23620811 Built in 1810; modified, altered or rebuilt 1896. Still open 1998 Coflein
- Sunday school, Pendine SN22960872 Not still open 1998 Coflein
The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales., byJones, I.G. & Williams, D. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. These statistics for this parish are extracted from this book which in turn got them from the 1851 census itself;
Pendine Sands - on Wikipedia
Pendine Sands, 1951 - on the People's Collection Wales site
The transcription of the section for Pendine from The National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Pendine to another place.
Weir, J.D. Laugharneshire connections: a family memoir: some Benjamins and Thomases of Pendine Southwest Wales and Fullerton, Nebraska, Sandusky, Ohio, DCI (1995) vii, 159 p., ill.
Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;
- Thomas Benjamin of East House, Pendine, Notebook "Photocopy, [20th century], of a notebook (1860-1891) of Thomas Benjamin, containing accounts, notes relating to the collection of rents and genealogical items."
You can see the administrative areas in which Pendine has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Monstrous Fish: The story, 1604, of the sighting of a mermaid near Pendine, Carmarthenshire. On the NLW's Digital Mirror site
Curtis, Mary. The antiquities of Laugharne, Pendine, and their neighbourhoods: Carmarthenshire, Amroth, Sandersfoot, Cilgetty, Pembrokeshire, South Wales. (2nd ed.) London: Printed for the author by R. Clay, 1880. viii, 339p: ill, geneal tables; 19cm.
Price, D.M. and O'Brien, M.L. Greatest of the three: a historical survey of Laugharne and Pendine, [Pendine] (Llanmiloe Primary School, Pendine, Carms.) : [D.M. Price] (1973) , 66 p. : p., ill., maps, plans. p.
Lloyd, Sir John E., (Ed.). A History of Carmarthenshire (2 vols.), Cardiff, London Carmarthenshire Society (1935, 1939). Extracts from this book can be accessed on some parish pages, see below for this parish;
- The History of the Church in the County/ Puritan Domination; A period of Depression;--- In 1672, Pendine is listed in a long list of Carmarthenshire churches where "everything was out of repair" in the aftermath of the confusion of the previous 20 years.
- Nonconformity and Methodism/ Moravians and Sandemanians;---"The history of that remarkable body, the United Brethren (Moravians), is closely intertwined with that of Methodism .....the members were by no means all Laugharne people, for some lived at St Clears, others at Pendine, etc....."
- Introduction; --- "Along the coastline from Pendine to Laugharne, English is the native tongue, where it was introduced by Teutonic invaders early in the C12th. This English settlement is an extension of that of South Pembrokeshire....."
- Prehistoric and Roman Times/ The Old and Middle Stone Age/Palaeolithic; --- "In Carmarthenshire the outcrop of the Carboniferous limestone is met with in two areas.......(and) in the extreme south-west a continuation of the same feature, much faulted, appears in the headland known as Coygan Rock, near Laugharne, and further west again, at Pendine, here marking the beginning of the Pembrokeshire coalfield." And;--- "Coygan Rock, in which the cave(Coygan Cave) is situated, is one of a series of steep faced hills which fronts the low lying flats known as east and West Marsh, between Laugharne and Pendine..."
- Prehistoric and Roman Times/List of Carmarthenshire Hill Forts/Fortresses utilising promontories etc. Includes; Gilman Camp, Pendine.
- Prehistoric and Roman Times/ Carmarthenshire in the Bronze Age/Early Bronze Age;--- On page 54 is a plan of Cadno Mountain Tumulus, Pendine where four burials were found (see also John Ward 'Some Prehistoric Sepulchral Remains near Pendine', Arch Camb 1918). On page 55 is a diagram of a flint knife from this site. Opposite page 60 is a photograph of a portion of an encrusted urn from this site,
- The Age of the Native Princes/The Early Church; Rise of the Kingdom of Deheubarth ; --- "In the Liber Landavensis, five churches are claimed for Teilo(Saint) in Cantref Mawr and six in Cantref Gwarthaf. These cannot all be identified, ............ and perhaps we may add Pendine ..."
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SN240089 (Lat/Lon: 51.751183, -4.55173), Pendine which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- OpenStreetMap Cymru (Welsh counties only)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Places, villages, farms etc within Pendine as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Katherine Hocking)
Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;
- Pendine Parish Council Records 1894-1996