"A market town and parish in the Union of St. Asaph, hundred of Isdulas, county of Denbigh; 12 miles (NW) from Denbigh, 20 miles (NW) from Ruthin, and 209 miles (NW) from London. ..... The town is delightfully situated in a pleasant valley, watered by the river Gele, and within half a mile of the Irish Sea, which forms the northern boundary of the parish. The coast, in some parts, is terminated by sandy cliffs, impending over the sea, which, according to tradition, has made considerable encroachment upon the land. ..... The environs abound with picturesque and strikingly bold scenery, and afford various pleasing and interesting excursions." [ A Topographical Dictionary of Wales, 1833 & 1849, Samuel Lewis]
The ancient parish of Abergele was extensive, covering approximately 9000 acres. It comprised the townships of Abergele, (or Tre'r Dre), Towyn Uchaf, Towyn Isaf, Bodoryn, Bodtegwal, Hendregyda, Dolganed, Serior, Brynffanigl, Nant Dinhengroen, Garthgogo, Gwrych, and Penrhyn Dulas.
- A catalogue of published books, pamphlets and magazine articles relating to aspects of the history of Abergele. Abergele Field Club and Historical Society Review. 9 (1990), p. 2-10.
- Abergele : 1971. Abergele (The Publicity Officer, Town Hall, Abergele, Denbigh) : Abergele Urban District Council, 
- Abergele in 1857. Abergele Field Club and Historical Society Review. 4 (1985), p. 19-22
- Baker, Mark. The rise and fall of Gwrych Castle, Abergele, North Wales Colwyn Bay : Mark Baker, 1999. Also 2003
- Baker, Mark. Gwrych Castle Colwyn Bay : Mark Baker, 2000.
- Davies, Dewi A. From Parys Mountain to Abergele Abergele Field Club and Historical Society Review. No 20 (2001), p. 4-8
- Davies, Dewi A. A walk around Abergele in 1851 Abergele Field Club and Historical Society Review. 12 (1993), p. 2-11.
- Davies, Dewi A. Roman finds at Abergele Abergele Field Club and Historical Society Review. 11 (1992), p. 2-7
- Ellis, John R. A history of Abergele & district Mold : Clwyd County Council, Library & Museum Services, 1991.
- Emery, Gordon. Abergele Chester : Gordon Emery, c1992.
- Gardner, Willoughby. The ancient hill-fortress on Pen-y-Corddyn, near Abergele London : Printed at the Bedford Press, 1910.
- Gleanings of a tour in North Wales from the Great 'Orms Head, through Abergele, St. Asaph, Holywell, and Chester, to the Isle of Man, with topographical remarks by M. L. L Liverpool : printed by W. Bethell, 1824.
- Guidebook to Abergele & its neighbourhood Abergele : printed by Robert Jones, 
- Halliwell, J O. [i.e. Halliwell-Phillipps] Notes of family excursions in North Wales, taken chiefly from Rhyl, Abergele, Llandudno, and Bangor. London : Printed for the author, 1860.
- Hughes, Jim. The Abergele lifeboat, 1868-69 Abergele Field Club and Historical Society Review. 4 (1985), p. 6-7
- Hughes, Vernon. The Royal Welsh Agricultural Shows in Abergele Abergele Field Club and Historical Society Review. No. 19 (2000), p. 19-26
- Hughes, Vernon. St. Michael's parish church, Abergele Abergele Field Club and Historical Society Review. 6 (1987), p. 24-26
- John Heywood's illustrated guide to Rhyl, Abergele, and St. Asaph, with short excursions in their neighourhood. Manchester : John Heywood, 1889.
- Jones, Bedwyr Lewis. Enwau lleoedd Abergele a'r cylch Abergele : Cymdeithas Emrys ap Iwan, 1992.
- Owen, Robert. The history of Abergele Hospital Denbigh : Gee & Sons, 1999.
- Roberts, R. Fred . Aspects of military history in Abergele, 1792-1945 / Abergele Field Club and Historical Society Review. 6 (1987), p. 6-12
- Roberts, R. Fred. A history of the Wesleyan Methodist Church at Abergele, 1800-1965 [Abergele : St. Paul's Welsh Methodist Church, 1965]
- Roberts, R Fred. Ships and shipwrecks Abergele Field Club and Historical Society Review. 11 (1992), p. 27-31
- Roberts, R. Fred. The Parry family of St. George and Abergele, and the Mormon emigration Abergele Field Club and Historical Society Review. 8 (1989), p. 10-17
- Roberts, R Fred. A wealthy Abergele emigrant Abergele Field Club and Historical Society Review. 13 (1994), p. 14-17
- Roberts, John Alun. The Methodist (Wesleyan) Chapel, Moelfre, 1835-1985 Abergele Field Club and Historical Society Review. 5 (1986), p. 15-19.
- Williams, Ellis Wynne. Hanes Eglwys Mynydd Seion, Abergele Abergele (Denbighshire) : Eglwys Mynydd Seion (Pwyllgor Dathlu), 1968.
- Williams, E Wynne. Abergele in old picture postcards Zaltbommel, Netherlands : European Library, 1982.
- Williams, E. Wynne. Pentre Mawr, Abergele Country Quest 26/11 (1986), p. 17-19
- Williams, E. Wynne. Abergele and De Beckele's survey of 1334 Abergele Field Club and Historical Society Review. 11 (1992), p. 19-26
- Williams, E. Wynne. Of things medical, surgical and dental in nineteenth-century Abergele Abergele Field Club and Historical Society Review. 13 (1994), p. 8-13
- Williams, Peter Howell. Eighteenth century sheeep dippers in Abergele Abergele Field Club and Historical Society Review 16 (1997), p. 4-22
- Wynne-Woodhouse, Bill. The saints in Abergele Abergele Field Club and Historical Society Review. 6 (1987), p. 20-22
|All Saints (Sinan), Groesffordd Marli|
|St David, Pensarn|
|St George, St George|
|St Michael, Abergele|
|Bodoryn Independent Chapel, Abergele|
|Eglwys Crist Welsh Independent Chapel, Abergele|
|Independent (1) Chapel (St George's Chapel), St George|
|Independent Chapel (1), Abergele|
|St Teresa of Lisieux, Abergele|
See Welsh Chapels and Churches for a photograph of St Michael's Abergele
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 11, North Wales. Ed. by Ieuan Gwynedd Jones, UWP, 1981. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.
Abergele Parish; Statistics; Area (with St Georges) 4053 acres; Population 1397 males, 1458 females, total 2855
Ordnance Survey reference SH 945776.
The church, dedicated to St. Michael, was extensively restored in 1878, at a cost of £3000.
The Clwyd FHS website has a photograph of the church.
Various items on the People's Collection Wales site
- Bodorin Chapel (Cong), Abergele (1897)
- ST MICHAEL'S CHURCH, CHURCH STREET, ABERGELE
- Mynydd Seion Chapel (CM), Abergele
- Christ Church chapel (Cong), Abergele (1897)
- Moelfre Calvinsitic Methodist Chapel, Abergele
- New Congregational Church, Abergele, Denbighshire
"Welsh Church Commission - County of Denbigh - The Statistics of the Nonconformist Churches for 1905" lists the following nonconformist places of worship in the Civil parish of "Abergele Urban" :
|Name of Chapel||Denomination||Number of "adherents"|
|Mynydd Seion and Pensarn
|Pensarn||Calvinistic Methodists (English language)||130|
Welsh Church Commission - County of Denbigh - The Statistics of the Nonconformist Churches for 1905" lists the following nonconformist places of worship in the Civil parish of "Abergele Rural" :
|Name of Chapel||Denomination||Number of "adherents"|
- The following Parish Registers have been deposited in the National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth.
They may be viewed on microfilm at the Denbighshire and Flintshire Record Offices, and at the National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth.
These microfilms are not available elsewhere.
|1647 - 1889||1659 - 1928||1647 - 1904|
- Clwyd FHS has published full transcriptions of the registers (complete with indexes) for the following years :
|1647 - 1812||1659 - 1812||1647 - 1812|
- Bishop's Transcripts for the years shown below have been deposited in the National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth.
Around the year 1951, most of the Bishop's Transcripts which had been deposited at that time were microfilmed by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints; and the films are available on request at Family History Centres of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
The films may also be viewed at the Denbighshire and Flintshire Record Offices, and at the National Library of Wales.
In general, the Bishop's Transcripts are less complete than the parish registers.
|Deposited at the National Library of Wales||Microfilmed copies|
|1665 - 1851||1783 - 1851|
- There are no official I.G.I. entries for St. Michael's, Abergele.
When Civil Registration was introduced (on 1 July 1837), the parish of Abergele was assigned to the No. 2 ("Abergele") sub-district of the St. Asaph Registration District, which was co-extensive with the St. Asaph poor law Union.
In the GRO indexes to civil registration, entries for Abergele are in the format :
- Years 1837 - 1851: St. Asaph XXVII. nnn
- Years 1851 - 1930: St. Asaph 11b. nnn
(GRO index references have no relevance at the local Superintendent Registrar's Office)
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Abergele to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Abergele has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
"North-East Wales Churches and Ancient Parish Boundaries" produced by Clwyd Record Office in 1994, published by Genuki with the permission of Flintshire Record Office and Denbighshire Archives
Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R., Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. Colchester, Essex: History Data Service, UK Data Archive [distributor], 17 May 2001. SN: 4348. Here is a gazetteer/finding aid plus a set of overview maps to accurately identify the position of parishes within the county.
Map of the parish of Abergele in the County of Denbigh on the People's Collection Wales site
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SH954767 (Lat/Lon: 53.276872, -3.569526), Abergele which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- OpenStreetMap Cymru (Welsh counties only)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- In 1831- the population was 2506.
- In 1901- the population was 2720.
[ Royal Commission on the Welsh Church - October 1907]
Abergele debating society, 1897 on the People's Collection Wales site