Hide

ABERGELE

hide
Hide

The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868

In 1868, the parish of Abergele contained the following places:

"ABERGELE, a parish in the hundred of Isdulas, in the county of Denbigh North Wales, 10 miles N.W. of Denbigh, and 213¾ miles from London, being a station on the Holyhead railway. Rhyl is the nearest post town. The town is situated in the valley through which the river Geley flows, which here falls into the Irish Sea. In the neighbourhood, the scenery is bold and picturesque, the mountains rising to a great height south of the town. It is believed that the sea has considerably encroached on this part of the coast. At some points there are sandy cliffs overhanging the sea, and at low water a wide tract of loam is exposed, in which oaks, nearly entire, have been found. The place has not a few historical associations. Before the Norman conquest was achieved, Harold the Saxon encountered Grufydd-ab-Llewellyn, Prince of North Wales, in the vicinity of the great rock Cevn Ogo. A bloody battle was fought, which terminated in the defeat of Harold. During the reign of William the Conqueror, the Welsh attacked Hugh Lupus in the pass of Cevn Ogo, which is very narrow, as he was on his way to invade and take possession of Anglesey. In the reign of Henry II., Owain Gwynedd, Prince of North Wales, made a stand against the English on this ground and succeeded in repulsing them; and it was near this pass that Richard II., having been invited by Earl Percy to a friendly conference with Bolingbroke, while on his way was betrayed, and carried off as a prisoner to Flint Castle. Traces of an ancient camp are found on a limestone hill near the town; and bear the name of Castell Cawr. On another hill, at a little distance from the former, called Mount of the Watch-tower, are retains of an ancient British fort. Cevn Ogo is a limestone rock, about 2 miles W. of the town, in which there are several caves, one very large and magnificent. The entrance to this principal cave is by an arch 48 feet in height. The large chamber to which it leads is 30 feet high, and is said to extend an unknown distance into the rock. The sides and roof are rich in beautiful stalactites, and the floor is covered with stalagmites of a deep orange colour. A large quantity of limestone is obtained from the Llysfaen quarries, in the mountains south of the town, and shipped to Liverpool. There is a telegraph in communication with Liverpool on these mountains, at the height of above 700 feet. The church is very low and plain, but of great length, and has a lofty square tower. It is dedicated to St. Michael. The living is a vicarage, value £400, in the diocese of St. Asaph, and in the patronage of the bishop. The Independents, Baptists, Calvinistic and Wesleyan Methodists have chapels here. Petty sessions are held in the town; Saturday is the market day. Fairs for cattle and horses are held on the 2nd April; on the Wednesday before Holy Thursday; 18th June, 20th August, and 9th October. Gwyrch Castle, the seat of the Heskeths, stands on the summit of a rock between the town and Cevn Ogo. It is a very large structure, recently erected, with spacious terraces and eighteen embattled towers."

"BODORRYN, a township in the parish of Abergele, hundred of Isdulas, in the county of Denbigh, North Wales, not far from Abergele. It is situated on the sea-coast."

"BOTEGWELL, a township in the parish of Abergele, hundred of Isdulas, in the county of Denbigh, not far from Abergele."

"BRYNFFAINGLE, a township in the parish of Abergele, hundred of Isdulas, in the county of Denbigh, North Wales, not far from Abergele. It is situated on the sea-coast, near the Chester and Holyhead railway."

"DOLGANNED, a township in the parish of Abergele, in the county of Denbigh."

"GURTH-GOGO, a township in the parish of Abergele, county Denbigh, 2 miles from Denbigh."

"GWRYCH, a township in the parish of Abergele, county Denbigh, 1 mile from Abergele. It is situated near the coast. The principal residence is Gwrych Castle with its 18 towers, commanding fine sea-views. In the vicinity is Cefn-yr-Ogo Rock."

"HENDRE-GYDA and ISAF and UCHAF, townships in the parish of Abergele, county Denbigh, 2 miles from Abergele."

"ISAF FOWYN, a township in the parish of Abergele, county Denbigh, North Wales, in the neighbourhood of Abergele.

"NANT, a township in the parish of Abergele, county Denbigh, near Abergele."

"SIRIOR, a township in the parish of Abergele, county Denbigh, 9 miles N.W. of Denbigh, on the line of the Holyhead railway."

"TYWYN and ISAF and UCHAF, a township in the parish of Abergele, county Denbigh, 2 miles W. of Abergele."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2018