"A chapelry in the parish and Union of Wrexham, hundred of Bromfield, county of Denbigh; 2 miles (W by N) from Wrexham, containing 1716 inhabitants. ..... There are extensive paper mills in this chapelry, situated upon the river Clywedog, affording employment to a considerable number of persons; and the whole of this district abounds with valuable and extensive mines of iron, lead, and coal, for working which several establishments have long been formed on a large scale." [A Topographical Dictionary of Wales, 1833 & 1849, Samuel Lewis]
"Bersham is a large township which stretches westward from the borough of Wrexham, between the rivers Gwenfro and Clywedog, to the mountain township of Minera or Mwnglawdd. It is bounded on the north by Broughton-in-Bromfield and Brymbo, and on the south by Esclusham Above, Esclusham Below, and Erddig - all, but the last-named, townships in the old parish of Wrexham. The name "Bersham" was formerly applied to the township only, and not to the village now so-called." [John Wilkinson and the Old Bersham Iron Works, 1899, Alfred Neobard Palmer ]
Berse became a separate parish on 28 June 1934, being formed from parts of the parishes of Rhosddu and Wrexham.