"A parish in the Union of St. Asaph, hundred of Isdulas, four miles (SSW) from Abergele, containing 912 inhabitants. The village is pleasantly situated at the base of a lofty mountain, by which it is sheltered on one side, and has a fine opening towards the north, commanding a full view of the Irish Sea." [A Topographical Dictionary of Wales, 1833 & 1849, Samuel Lewis]
The ancient parish comprised the townships of Peniarth, Bodlyman, Maesegwig, Tre'rllan, Trofarth, and part of Cilcen.
- Owens, Miriam. Dathlu canmlwyddiant Capel Hyfrydle, Betws yn Rhos, 1898-1998 1998.
- Wheway, J. Alan. Betws-yn-Rhos (1989 with additions during 2000-2008) [Betws-yn-Rhos : John Wheway, 2009]
|St Michael, Bettws-yn-Rhos|
|Tabernacl Baptist Chapel, ??|
|Seion Welsh Independent Chapel, Betws-Yn-Rhos|
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 11, North Wales. Ed. by Ieuan Gwynedd Jones, UWP, 1981. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.
Bettws-yn-Rhos Parish, Statistics; Area 6262 acres; Population 472 males, 423 females, total 895
Ordnance Survey reference SH 907735.
The church, which is dedicated to St. Michael, was mentioned in the Norwich Taxation of 1254, as being part of the parish of Abergele, but it is distinct from Abergele in the Lincoln Taxation of 1254.
The old church was demolished in 1838; and the foundation stone of the present building was laid on 19 July 1838.
The Clwyd FHS website has a photograph of the church.
"Welsh Church Commission - County of Denbigh - The Statistics of the Nonconformist Churches for 1905" lists the following nonconformist places of worship in the Civil parish of Betws-yn-Rhos :
|Name of Chapel||Denomination||Number of "adherents"|
- The following Parish Registers have been deposited at the Denbighshire Record Office, Ruthin.
They may be viewed on microfilm at the Denbighshire and Flintshire Record Offices, and at the National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth.
These microfilms are not available elsewhere.
|1705 - 1992||1705 - 1989||1705 - 1992|
- Clwyd FHS has published full transcriptions of the Registers / Bishop's Transcripts (complete with indexes) for the following years :
|1663 - 1812||1663 - 1812||1663 - 1812|
- Bishop's Transcripts for the years shown below have been deposited in the National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth.
Around the year 1951, most of the Bishop's Transcripts which had been deposited at that time were microfilmed by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints; and the films are available on request at Family History Centres of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
The films may also be viewed at the Denbighshire and Flintshire Record Offices, and at the National Library of Wales.
In general, the Bishop's Transcripts are less complete than the parish registers.
|Deposited at the National Library of Wales||Microfilmed copies|
|1663 - 1833||1663 - 1833|
- There are no official I.G.I. entries for St. Michael's, Betws-yn-Rhos.
When Civil Registration was introduced (on 1 July 1837), the parish of Betws-yn-Rhos was assigned to the No. 2 ("Abergele") sub-district of the St. Asaph Registration District, which was co-extensive with the St. Asaph poor law Union.
In the GRO indexes to civil registration, entries for Betws-yn-Rhos are in the format :
- Years 1837 - 1851: St. Asaph XXVII. nnn
- Years 1851 - 1930: St. Asaph 11b. nnn
(GRO index references have no relevance at the local Superintendent Registrar's Office)
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Betws-yn-Rhos to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Betws-yn-Rhos has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
"North-East Wales Churches and Ancient Parish Boundaries" produced by Clwyd Record Office in 1994, published by Genuki with the permission of Flintshire Record Office and Denbighshire Archives
Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R., Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. Colchester, Essex: History Data Service, UK Data Archive [distributor], 17 May 2001. SN: 4348. Here is a gazetteer/finding aid plus a set of overview maps to accurately identify the position of parishes within the county.
Map of the parish of Bettws yn Rhos in the County of Denbigh - on the People's Collection Wales site
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SH881724 (Lat/Lon: 53.237205, -3.678617), Betws-yn-Rhos which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- OpenStreetMap Cymru (Welsh counties only)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Cobbler, Betws-yn-Rhos on the People's Collection Wales site
- In 1831- the population was 912.
- In 1901- the population was 459.
[ Royal Commission on the Welsh Church - October 1907]
Pupils, Betws-yn-Rhos school (1899) on the People's Collection Wales site