BRYN-EGLWYS

In 1868, the parish of Bryn Eglwys contained the following places:

"BRYN-EGLWYS, a parish in the hundred of Yale, in the county of Denbigh, North Wales, 7 miles to the S. of Ruthin. Eglwys is its post town. It lies in a mountainous district a little to the N. of the river Dee, and contains the townships of Bodynwydag, Bryntangor, Fanybedwell, Gwrthrina, and Llan. There is a mineral spring in the parish, which imparts a sweet smell to the mosses growing round it. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of St. Asaph, worth £90, in the gift of Sir W. W. Wynne, Bart. The Calvinistic and Wesleyan Methodists have chapels in the village. The parochial charities, consisting chiefly of the endowment of a free school, amount to £15 per annum."

"BODYNWYDAG, a township in the parish of Bryn-Eglwys, hundred of Yale, in the county of Denbigh, North Wales, 5 miles to the N.W. of Llangollen."

"BRYNTANGOR, a township in the parish of Bryn-Eglwys, hundred of Yale, in the county of Denbigh, North Wales, 6 miles to the N.W, of Llangollen."

"FANYBEDWELL, a township in the parish of Bryn-Eglwys, county Denbigh, 5 miles N.W. of Llangollen."

"GWRTHRINA, a township in the parish of Bryn-Eglwys, county Denbigh, 5 miles N.W of Llangollen."

"LLAN, a township in the parish of Bryn-Eglwys, county Denbigh, 5 miles N.W. of Llangollen."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2018