"It is at Brynmaen that the old parishes of Llandrillo, Colwyn and Llansantffraid converge, and of the extremeties of these parishes there has been formed, with the approval of the Bishop and of the interested clergy, the new parish of Brynmaen. ..... The charming prospect includes a splendid view of a broad expanse of the Irish Sea, with the picturesque islands of Anglesea and Puffin on the one hand and the town of Rhyl with its background of mountains on the other. In the mid-distance are Conway and its magnificent fortress, Great Orme's Head, Sychnant Pass and its Fairy Glen, as well as many other of those places of pictorial interest which attract and delight so many thousands of visitors to this district every year." [From Colwyn Bay Weekly News, 29 September 1899]
The new parish of Bryn-y-Maen was officially created by an Order in Council, on 15 May 1900. According to Archdeacon Thomas, it comprises parts of the parishes of Colwyn; Colwyn Bay; Llanelian, and Llansanffraid Glan Conwy.
In 1937, part of the township of Mochdre, from the parish of Llandrillo yn Rhos, was added to Bryn-y-Maen.
- Robinson, Philip M. Christ Church Brynymaen Colwyn Bay Colwyn Bay ; Colwyn Duplicating Services Ltd.
Ordnance Survey reference SH 836762.
The foundation stone of the new church was laid on 4 May 1897; and the building was consecrated, as Christ Church, on 28 September 1899.
"Christ Church, Brynymaen, built to the honour and glory of God and to the dear memory of Charles Frost, was consecrated by the Bishop of St. Asaph on Tuesday morning, the event very naturally proving one of wide-spread interest in the district. This handsomely designed and substantially built church, which will take rank as one of the most magnificent in the diocese, was erected by Mrs Charles Frost, of Min-y-don, a lady well-known for her generous and liberal support of religious work, to perpetuate the memory of her late husband, Mr Charles Frost, whose mortal remains lie buried within what is now the church-yard. ..... Christ Church forms a striking feature in one of the finest landscapes in Wales. It stands, at an altitude of something like 840 feet above the level of the sea, upon a broad plateau, and is distant about a mile and a half from Colwyn Bay, from which town it is separated by that lovely belt of woodland, the far-famed Pwllychrochan Woods. It is reached by a typical country road, which an economic local authority has skilfully succeeded in neglecting, but, whatever the discomforts of travelling that way may be, the visitor is amply rewarded on reaching the level ground. The pure, bracing breezes are laden with health-giving properties, whilst the soul-enchanting scene of rare natural beauty which presents itself to the view is one which lingers long in the memory."
[From Colwyn Bay Weekly News, 29 September 1899]
The Clwyd FHS website has a photograph of the church.
Christchurch, Bryn-y-maen - on wikipedia
Nonconformist places of worship for Brynymaen were included in the "Welsh Church Commission - County of Denbigh - The Statistics of the Nonconformist Churches for 1905" under the Civil parish of Colwyn Bay. Details will be found on the parish page for Colwyn Bay.
- The following Parish Registers have been deposited at the Denbighshire Record Office, Ruthin.
They may be viewed on microfilm at the Denbighshire and Flintshire Record Offices, and at the National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth.
These microfilms are not available elsewhere.
|1898 - 1991||1900 - 1970||1896 - 1991|
- No Bishop's Transcripts have been deposited for Christ Church, Brynymaen.
- There are no official I.G.I. entries for Christ Church, Brynymaen.
The new parish of Brynymaen was assigned to the Conwy Registration District.
In the GRO indexes to civil registration, entries for Brynymaen are in the format :
- Years 1837 - 1851: Conwy XXVII. nnn
- Years 1851 - 1930: Conwy 11b. nnn
(GRO index references have no relevance at the local Superintendent Registrar's Office)
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Bryn-y-maen to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Bryn-y-maen has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
"North-East Wales Churches and Ancient Parish Boundaries" produced by Clwyd Record Office in 1994, published by Genuki with the permission of Flintshire Record Office and Denbighshire Archives
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SH835761 (Lat/Lon: 53.269054, -3.74831), Bryn-y-maen which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- OpenStreetMap Cymru (Welsh counties only)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)