"A parish in the Union of Llanrwst, hundred of Isaled, county of Denbigh, 6 miles (ESE) from Llanrwst. ..... Within this parish, which is situated in the mountainous district of the county, are the sources of the rivers Elwy, Aled and Alwen, upon the first of which, about two miles below its source, the village is pleasantly seated. The surface of the surrounding country is beautifully diversified, and in many parts the scenery is highly picturesque: within the parish are three noble lakes, Llyn Alwen, Llyn Moelvre, and Llyn Aled, the last of which is enclosed on almost every side by mountains covered with dark and barren heath." [A Topographical Dictionary of Wales, 1833 & 1849, Samuel Lewis]
This is a remote and mountainous parish of about 6000 acres, divided into two townships, Is-llan and Uwch-llan. At one time, there were two other townships, Pennant and Cornwal.
- Butler, Lawrence and James Graham-Campbell. A lost reliquary casket from Gwytherin, north Wales Antiquaries Journal 70 (1990), p. 40-8.
- Edwards, Nancy and Tristan Gray Hulse. A fragment of a reliquary casket from Gwytherin, north Wales Antiquaries Journal, 72 (1992), p. 91-101
- Roberts, Ceinwen. Gofaint Gwytherin Fferm a Thyddyn. Rhif 40 (Calan Gaeaf 2007), p. 4-5.
- Roberts, Heulwen Ann. Ffatri wlân Gwytherin, a'i gweithwyr Fferm a thyddyn, Rhif 44 (Calan Gaeaf 2009), p. 8-9.
Ordnance Survey reference SH 877614.
Gwytherin was a place of very early ecclesiastical note, and legend has it that St. Winifred, after leaving Holywell, became Abbess of a convent there. The original church appears to have been founded by St. Eleri. It was re-built at some early period, and re-dedicated in the name of St. James. This building in turn became very dilapidated, and was taken down in 1867. The new church, which was consecrated on 3 June 1869, was dedicated to St. Winifred.
The Clwyd FHS website has a photograph of the church.
Gwytherin churchyard - on the Megalithic portal
Church, Gwytherin - on the People's Collection Wales site
"Welsh Church Commission - County of Denbigh - The Statistics of the Nonconformist Churches for 1905" lists the following nonconformist places of worship in the Civil parish of Gwytherin :
|Name of Chapel||Denomination||Number of "adherents"|
Cae'rgraig (administered jointly)
- The following Parish Registers have been deposited at the National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth.
They may be viewed on microfilm at the Denbighshire and Flintshire Record Offices, and at the National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth.
These microfilms are not available elsewhere.
|1718 - 1992||1718 - 1970||1718 - 1994|
- Clwyd FHS has published full transcriptions of the registers (complete with indexes) for the following years :
|1667 - 1812||1672 - 1812||1667 - 1812|
- Bishop's Transcripts for the years shown below have been deposited in the National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth.
Around the year 1951, most of the Bishop's Transcripts which had been deposited at that time were microfilmed by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints; and the films are available on request at Family History Centres of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
The films may also be viewed at the Denbighshire and Flintshire Record Offices, and at the National Library of Wales.
In general, the Bishop's Transcripts are less complete than the parish registers.
|Deposited at the National Library of Wales||Microfilmed copies|
|1667 - 1835||1671 - 1835|
- There are no official I.G.I. entries for St. Winifred's, Gwytherin.
When Civil Registration was introduced (on 1 July 1837), the parish of Gwytherin was assigned to the No. 1 ("Llanrwst") sub-district of the Llanrwst Registration District; which was co-extensive with the Llanrwst poor law Union.
In the GRO indexes to civil registration, entries for Gwytherin are in the format :
- Years 1837 - 1851: Llanrwst XXVII. nnn
- Years 1851 - 1930: Llanrwst 11b. nnn
(GRO index references have no relevance at the local Superintendent Registrar's Office)
Gwytherin - on the hiraethog site
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Gwytherin to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Gwytherin has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Memorandum of Commitment to Gaol, 21 December 1550 (The prisoner, Gwalchmai, upon his examination, confessed the felony (and was taken "with ye man at plas calyd Gwytherin in ye Countye of Denbygh") - on the People's Collection Wales site
"North-East Wales Churches and Ancient Parish Boundaries" produced by Clwyd Record Office in 1994, published by Genuki with the permission of Flintshire Record Office and Denbighshire Archives
Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R., Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. Colchester, Essex: History Data Service, UK Data Archive [distributor], 17 May 2001. SN: 4348. Here is a gazetteer/finding aid plus a set of overview maps to accurately identify the position of parishes within the county
A map of the parish of Gwitherin in the County of Denbigh - on the People's Collection Wales site
Tithe map of Gwytherin, Denbighshire - on the People's Collection Wales site
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SH876615 (Lat/Lon: 53.138799, -3.682094), Gwytherin which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- OpenStreetMap Cymru (Welsh counties only)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Stories of the soldiers from Gwytherin who served in the Great War and who returned home - on the People's Collection Wales site
- In 1831- the population was 463.
- In 1901- the population was 289.
[ Royal Commission on the Welsh Church - October 1907]
Nash, Roy. Family and Economic Structure in C19th Wales : Llangernyw and Gwytherin in 1871 Welsh History Review 11 Welsh Journals Online