In 1868, the parish of Holt contained the following places:
"HOLT, a parish, borough, and corporate town, in the hundred of Bromfield, county Denbigh, 5 miles N.E. of Wrexham, and opposite Farndon, in Cheshire. It is situated on the bank of the river Dee, which here separates England from Wales, and across which there is a stone ten-arched bridge, built in the 14th century. The parish includes the townships of Duton-Cacca, Duton-Diffreth, Duton-y-Bran, Holt, Ridley, and Sutton. Roman antiquities have frequently been found; hence Camden supposed it to have been the site of the Castrum Legionis of the Romans, or Castell Lleon of the Welsh. Subsequent to the Norman Conquest it became the property of the Warrens, who erected a strong castle, which passed in succession to the Fitz-alans, Beauchamps, Stanleys, &c., and was garrisoned in 1643 for Charles I., but was besieged and entirely razed by the parliamentary forces in 1645. The town was formerly a place of some consequence, and had a market. It obtained a charter in 1410, and is still governed by a mayor, two bailiffs, and a coroner. It unites with Denbigh, Ruthin, and Wrexham, in returning a member to parliament. The bounds, as fixed by the Reform Bill, coincide with those of the township. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of St. Asaph, value £101, in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Winchester. The church, dedicated to St. Chad, is an ancient structure. There is also a chapel and a free school, the latter with an income from endowment of £52 per annum. The parochial charities produce about £130 per annum."
"DUTTON CACCA, (and Dutton-y-bran and Dutton Diffrith) townships in the parish of Holt, hundred of Bromfield, in the county of Denbigh, near Holt.
"ISSACOED, (or Is-y-coedd), a chapelry in the parish of Holt, county Denbigh, 4 miles E. of Wrexham. It is situated near the banks of the river Dee, and contains the townships of Dutton-y-Bran, Dutton-Cacca, Dutton-Diffeth, Ridley, and Sutton. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Chester, value £80, in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Winchester. The church is dedicated to St. Paul.
"RIDLEY, a township in the parish of Holt, hundred of Bromfield, county Denbigh, 6 miles N.E. of Wrexham, in the vale of the river Dee, opposite Farndon."
"SUTTON, a township in the parish of Holt, hundred of Bromfield, county Denbigh, 5 miles E. of Wrexham, on the river Dee."