"A parochial chapelry, in the parish of Holt, Union of Wrexham, hundred of Bromfield, county of Denbigh; 5 miles (E) from Wrexham." [A Topographical Dictionary of Wales, 1833 & 1849, Samuel Lewis]
Until 1827, Isycoed was a sub-chapelry of Holt, which was itself a chapelry of Gresford.
In 1827, Isycoed became a separate parish, with an area of 3530 acres, comprising the townships of Cacca Dutton, Dutton Diffaeth, Dutton y Bran, Ridley, and Sutton. Although the parish of Gresford was (and still is) in the diocese of St. Asaph, Isycoed was in the diocese of Chester until 1849, when it was transferred to St. Asaph.
The parish of Isycoed should not be confused with the Flintshire parish of Bangor Isycoed, which lies a few miles to the south, nor with the Flintshire (Maelor Saesneg) parish of Iscoyd (also known as Whitewell).
They are three quite distinct and separate parishes.
Ordnance Survey reference SJ 404501.
There was a church recorded on the site in 1718. This was replaced in 1742; and the present church, which is dedicated to St. Paul, was built in 1829.
The Clwyd FHS website has a photograph of the church.
"Welsh Church Commission - County of Denbigh - The Statistics of the Nonconformist Churches for 1905" lists the following nonconformist place of worship in the Civil parish of Dutton Diffaeth (comprising Cacca Dutton, Dutton y Bran, Ridley and Sutton):
|Name of Chapel||Denomination||Number of "adherents"|
|Bowling Bank||Calvinistic Methodists (English language)||180|
- The following Parish Registers have been deposited at the Denbighshire Record Office, Ruthin.
They may be viewed on microfilm at the Denbighshire and Flintshire Record Offices, at the A.N. Palmer Library, Wrexham, and at the National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth.
These microfilms are not available elsewhere.
|1749 - 1946||1750 - 1970||1750 - 1980|
- Clwyd FHS has published full transcriptions of the registers (complete with indexes) for the following years :
|1749 - 1813||1750 - 1837||1750 - 1813|
- Bishop's Transcripts for the years shown below have been deposited in the Cheshire Record Office, Chester.
On 4 August 1989, these Bishop's Transcripts were microfilmed by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints; and the films are available on request at Family History Centres of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
The films may also be viewed at the Flintshire and Cheshire Record Offices.
|Microfilmed copies of BT's|
1813 - 1849
- There are no official I.G.I. entries for St. Paul's, Isycoed.
When Civil Registration was introduced (on 1 July 1837), the parish of Isycoed was assigned to the No. 2 ("Malpas") sub-district of the Wrexham Registration District; which, initially, was co-extensive with the Wrexham poor law Union.
In the GRO indexes to civil registration, entries for Isycoed are in the format :
- Years 1837 - 1851: Wrexham XXVII. nnn
- Years 1851 - 1930: Wrexham 11b. nnn
(GRO index references have no relevance at the local Superintendent Registrar's Office)
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Isycoed to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Isycoed has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
"North-East Wales Churches and Ancient Parish Boundaries" produced by Clwyd Record Office in 1994, published by Genuki with the permission of Flintshire Record Office and Denbighshire Archives
Various maps - on the People's Collection Wales site
- Map of Dutton Diffaeth township in the chapelry of Issacoed in the parish of Gresford in the County of Denbigh
- Map of Sutton township in the chapelry of Issacoed in the parish of Gresford in the County of Denbigh
- Map of Dutton y Brain township in the chapelry of Issacoed in the parish of Gresford in the County of Denbigh
- Ridley township in the chapelry of Is y Coed in the parish of Gresford and County of Denbigh
- Map of Cacca Dutton township in the chapelry of Isa Coed in the parish of Gresford in the County of Denbigh
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ403502 (Lat/Lon: 53.045716, -2.891955), Isycoed which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- OpenStreetMap Cymru (Welsh counties only)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- In 1831- the population was 438.
- In 1901- the population was 435.
[ Royal Commission on the Welsh Church - October 1907]