"A parish in the Union of Ruthin, partly in the hundred of Maelor, county of Flint, but chiefly in that of Yale, county of Denbigh; 4½ miles (E by S) from Ruthin, containing 1475 inhabitants. The village is pleasantly situated on the river Alyn. ..... Throughout the vale in which the village is situated, and on every neighbouring eminence, are numerous tumuli, of which several have been opened at various times, and found to contain sepulchral urns filled with ashes, with human bones, which had resisted the action of the fire, scattered about them in profusion." [A Topographical Dictionary of Wales, 1833 & 1849, Samuel Lewis]

The ancient parish comprised the township of Bodidris (in Flintshire), and the Denbighshire townships of Bodigre yr Iarll, Bodigre yr Abbot, Chwileriog, Gelligynan, Creigiog Uwch Glan, Creigiog Isglan, Alltgymbyd, Trellan, Banhadlen, Cyfnant, Gwaunyffynnon, and Erryrys; with a total area of 11,651 acres.
However, portions of Erryrys, Cyfnant and Gwaunyffynnon went to the newly created parish of Eryrys in 1861.
By an Order in Council, gazetted on 11 March 1887, part of the parish of Llanarmon yn Iâl was transferred to the parish of Llandegla. Archdeacon Thomas defines the area transferred thus :
"That portion of Llanarmon lying south of a line drawn from Pont Ystyllod through Rhos Isa and Perthichwareu, and taking in also a portion of Bodidris township (including the Hall)and the Gwernoliaid, as far as Llyn Maelor."



  •  Pritchard., T W.  The Parish Church of St. Garmon, Llanarmon yn Ial, Clwyd.    [s.l.] : (The Church?), (1985)

Church History

See Welsh Chapels and Churches for a photograph of Llanarmon-Yn-Iâl. St Garmon      Ordnance Survey reference SJ 191562.
The church, which is dedicated to Bishop Garmon (or Germanus), was mentioned in the Lincoln Taxation of 1291; but it is believed that there has been a church on this spot since the Fifth century. The church was partially rebuilt in 1736; and renovated in 1870 and again in 1906.

The Clwyd FHS website has a photograph of the church.

Nonconformist Churches

"Welsh Church Commission - County of Denbigh - The Statistics of the Nonconformist Churches for 1905" lists the following nonconformist places of worship in the Civil parish of Llanarmon yn Iâl :

Name of ChapelDenominationNumber of "adherents"
MaesydroellCalvinistic Methodists59
Rhiw IâlCalvinistic Methodists200

Church Records

Parish Registers

  • The following Parish Registers have been deposited at the Denbighshire Record Office, Ruthin.
    They may be viewed on microfilm at the Denbighshire and Flintshire Record Offices, and at the National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth.
    These microfilms are not available elsewhere.
1683 - 19431676 - 19691677 - 1937
  • Clwyd FHS has published full transcriptions of the registers (complete with indexes) for the following years :
1683 - 18121767 - 18121683 - 1812

Bishop's Transcripts

  • Bishop's Transcripts for the years shown below have been deposited in the National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth.
    Around the year 1951, most of the Bishop's Transcripts which had been deposited at that time were microfilmed by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints; and the films are available on request at Family History Centres of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
    The films may also be viewed at the Denbighshire and Flintshire Record Offices, and at the National Library of Wales.
    In general, the Bishop's Transcripts are less complete than the parish registers.
Deposited at the National Library of WalesMicrofilmed copies
1666 - 18511667 - 1836


  • The following have been incorporated into the I.G.I., as part of an "official extraction" programme.
    They were extracted from the Bishop's Transcripts, not from the Parish Registers.
1730 - 1836 (88% extraction)None

Civil Registration

When Civil Registration was introduced (on 1 July 1837), the parish of Llanarmon yn Iâl was assigned to the No. 1 ("Llanarmon") sub-district of the Ruthin Registration District; which was co-extensive with the Ruthin poor law Union.

In the GRO indexes to civil registration, entries for Llanarmon yn Iâl are in the format :

  • Years 1837 - 1851: Ruthin XXVII. nnn
  • Years 1851 - 1930: Ruthin 11b. nnn

(GRO index references have no relevance at the local Superintendent Registrar's Office)


Description & Travel

Llanarmon yn Ial - community site

Llanarmon yn Ial - on wikipedia

Various landscapes  - on the People's Collection Wales site

You can see pictures of Llanarmon-yn-Ial which are provided by:



The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.



"North-East Wales Churches and Ancient Parish Boundaries" produced by Clwyd Record Office in 1994, published by Genuki with the permission of Flintshire Record Office and Denbighshire Archives

Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R., Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. Colchester, Essex: History Data Service, UK Data Archive [distributor], 17 May 2001. SN: 4348.   Here is a gazetteer/finding aid plus a set of overview maps to accurately identify the position of parishes within the county

Various maps  -  on the People's Collection Wales site

  • Creigiog Is Glan in the parish of Llanarmon yn Iâl in the County of Denbigh  
  • Township of Bodidris in the parish of Llanarmon in Ial in the Counties of Denbigh and Flint
  • Map of the rector's townships comprising Gelligynnan, Cheveleiriog, Alltgymbyd in the parish of Llanarmon in Yale in the County of Denbigh
  • Map of the townships of Bodigre yr Abbot and Bodigre Iarll in the parish of Llanarmon yn Iâl in the County of Denbigh

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ200549 (Lat/Lon: 53.084879, -3.195906), Llanarmon-yn-Ial which are provided by:



  • In 1831- the population was 1568.
  • In 1901- the population was 534.
    [ Royal Commission on the Welsh Church - October 1907]


  • Archdeacon Thomas gives the area of the parish as 11,651 acres, before the creation of the new parish of Eryrys in 1861.
    [ The History of the Diocese of St. Asaph , 1908-1913, Ven. D.R. Thomas]