"A parish in the Union of Conway, partly in the hundred of Creuddyn, county of Carnarvon, but chiefly in the hundred of Isdulas, county of Denbigh, on the shore of the Irish sea, 5 miles (NE) from Aberconway, containing 1133 inhabitants. The village of Llandrillo is composed of three houses only. ..... There are four weirs along the shore, where an immense quantity of fish of various kinds is taken dring the season, particularly mackerel and salmon. ..... A considerable quantity of limestone is shipped hence to Liverpool." [A Topographical Dictionary of Wales, 1833 & 1849, Samuel Lewis]
The ancient parish of Llandrillo yn Rhos lies in the extreme north-west corner of Denbighshire. It originally contained the townships of Eirias, Colwyn, Rhiw, Cilgwyn, Llwyd Coed, Mochdre, and Dinerth (also spelled Dinarth). It was bounded on the east by Llysfaen parish, on the west by Llangwstenin and Eglwysrhos parishes (in Caernarfonshire), and on the north by the sea. Until 1924, the parish of Llysfaen and the adjacent township of Eirias formed a detached portion of Caernarfonshire, within Denbighshire. There was also a detached portion of Eirias township in the extreme north-west corner of the parish.
The main settlements were the villages of Colwyn (now known as Old Colwyn) and Mochdre, in the townships of those names. Practically all of the township of Rhiw belonged to the Pwllychrochan estate; and, following the sale of the estate in 1865, it formed the nucleus of the present town of Colwyn Bay. Similarly, a large part of the township of Dinerth, belonging to the Bostock estate, formed the nucleus of the town of Rhos on Sea.
With the growth of the holiday trade during the Victorian period, and the increasing population, new churches were built; and eventually the parish was divided. The parish of Colwyn was formed in 1844, Colwyn Bay in 1893, and Brynymaen in 1900. Most of the township of Cilgwyn was transferred to the parish of Llanelian.
The present ecclesiastical parish is therefore very much reduced in size.
The modern town is also known as Rhos-on-Sea.
- Evans, Rev .E. D. The parish church of Llandrillo-yn-Rhos. Rhos on Sea ; 1965.
- Kilgour, Fred. Dan y don tua Llandrillo yn Rhos Llafar Gwlad. No. 70 (2000), p. 15
- Llandrillo-yn-Rhos Mold : Clwyd Library and Museum Service, 1993.
- Thomas, Darlah. A pier for Llandrillo-yn-Rhos, 1864-5 Clwyd Historian = Hanes Bro Clwyd. No. 61 (Winter 2009/10), p. 8-13
- Timothy, Rev T. E. (curate of Llandrillo-yn-Rhos) Llandrillo-yn-Rhos Shrewsbury : L. Wilding, 1910.
- Venables-Williams, W. An archaeological history of Llandrillo-Yn-Rhos and the immediate neighbourhood Colwyn Bay : R. E. Jones and Bros., printers, [18--?]
|Rhos-On-Sea English Congregational Church Hall, Colwyn Bay|
|Rhos-On-Sea English Congregational Church, Rhos-On-Sea|
|Crematorium Chapel, Bron-Y-Nant|
Ordnance Survey reference SH 832806.
The church, which is dedicated to St. Trillo, was mentioned in the Norwich Taxation of 1254. It was whitewashed, to serve as a landmark for ships at sea. The church was restored in 1857, further work being done in 1873 and 1898.
The Clwyd FHS website has a photograph of the church.
Church of St Trillo - on CPAT
St. George's, in the centre of the new town (SH 839801), was opened in 1913, as a chapel of ease to the parish church.
The Clwyd FHS website has a photograph of the church.
ST TRILLO'S CHURCH, LLANDRILLO YN RHOS - on the People's Collection Wales site
Nonconformist places of worship for Llandrillo yn Rhos were included in the "Welsh Church Commission - County of Denbigh - The Statistics of the Nonconformist Churches for 1905" under the Civil parish of Colwyn Bay. Details will be found on the parish page for Colwyn Bay.
- The following Parish Registers have been deposited at the Denbighshire Record Office, Ruthin.
They may be viewed on microfilm at the Denbighshire and Flintshire Record Offices, and at the National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth.
These microfilms are not available elsewhere.
|1693 - 1859||1693 - 1921||1693 - 1910|
- Clwyd FHS has published full transcriptions of the registers (complete with indexes) for the following years :
|1663 - 1837||1665 - 1837||1663 - 1837|
- Bishop's Transcripts for the years shown below have been deposited in the National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth.
Around the year 1951, most of the Bishop's Transcripts which had been deposited at that time were microfilmed by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints; and the films are available on request at Family History Centres of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
The films may also be viewed at the Denbighshire and Flintshire Record Offices, and at the National Library of Wales.
In general, the Bishop's Transcripts are less complete than the parish registers.
|Deposited at the National Library of Wales||Microfilmed copies|
|1663 - 1838||1702 - 1838|
- There are no official I.G.I. entries for St. Trillo's, Llandrillo.
When Civil Registration was introduced (on 1 July 1837), the parish of Llandrillo yn Rhos was assigned to the No. 2 ("Creuddyn") sub-district of the Conwy Registration District; which was co-extensive with the Conwy poor law Union.
In the GRO indexes to civil registration, entries for Llandrillo yn Rhos are in the format :
- Years 1837 - 1851: Conway XXVII. nnn
- Years 1851 - 1930: Conway 11b. nnn
(GRO index references have no relevance at the local Superintendent Registrar's Office)
Rhos on Sea - on wikipedia
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Llandrillo-yn-Rhos to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Llandrillo-yn-Rhos has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Crosville open top in Rhos-on-Sea 1961 - on the People's Collection Wales site
"North-East Wales Churches and Ancient Parish Boundaries" produced by Clwyd Record Office in 1994, published by Genuki with the permission of Flintshire Record Office and Denbighshire Archives
Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R., Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. Colchester, Essex: History Data Service, UK Data Archive [distributor], 17 May 2001. SN: 4348. Here is a gazetteer/finding aid plus a set of overview maps to accurately identify the position of parishes within the county
Map of the parish of Llandrillo in Rhos in the Counties of Denbigh and Caernarfon on the People's Collection Wales site
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SH839775 (Lat/Lon: 53.281315, -3.742648), Llandrillo-yn-Rhos which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- OpenStreetMap Cymru (Welsh counties only)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- In 1831- the population was 1133.
- In 1901- the population was 982.
[ Royal Commission on the Welsh Church - October 1907]