LLANDYRNOG

In 1868, the parish of Llandyrnog contained the following places:

"LLANDYRNOG, a parish in the hundred of Ruthin, county Denbigh, 4 miles N. of Ruthin, and 5 S.E. of Denbigh, its post town. It lies at the base of Bryn-y-Cloddiau, in the vale and near the banks of the river Clwyd. The parish includes five townships of which Astrad and Backer are the principal. The tithes were commuted in 1839. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of St. Asaph, in the patronage of the Bishop of St. David's. The church is dedicated to St. Tyrnog. There are charities amounting to about £7 per annum. Vron Iw, formerly a seat of the Williams family, is now a farm."

"ASTRAD, a township in the parish of Llandyrnog, hundred of Ruthin, in the county of Denbigh, North Wales, 1 mile from Denbigh. Astrad Hall is the chief residence."

"BANKER, a township in the parish of Llandyrnog, and hundred of Ruthin, in the county of Denbigh, North Wales, 4 miles to the E. of Denbigh."

"CAERFEDWYN, a township in the parish of Llandyrnog, hundred of Ruthin, in the county of Denbigh, North Wales, 4 miles to the E. of Denbigh."

"LLAN-RHIN-BEBYL, a township in the parish of Llandyrnog, county Denbigh, 4 miles E. of Denbigh."

"SPEDDYD, a township in the parish of Llandyrnog, county Denbigh, 5 miles N. of Ruthin."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2018